We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patrick's Point and Fern Gully

Santa Clara...
reviews: 13
Patrick's Point and Fern Gully

Just book our campsite at Agate Campground for Labor Day Weekend. Driving up Fri and leave Monday. I haven't been up this way for many years... ?20... so lots to rediscover. Hubby threw out Fern Gully and beach camping so here we are.

There aren't many old posts here so I guess I need to research some more. Pygmy Forest in Van Damme is one stop. We will drive up to Crescent City one day. I remember getting smoked salmon here when I was a kid.

What else should we do?

15 replies to this topic
Santa Clara...
1. Re: Patrick's Point and Fern Gully

Marking down Murphy's to visit.

The last time I camped there, our sadistic leader decided open air camping on our mat in our bag was the thing to do. Woke up in the middle of the night with a wet face. :p We are sleeping in our campershell on our pickup this time. Will bring rain shell and warm clothing.

San Francisco...
reviews: 107
2. Re: Patrick's Point and Fern Gully

Be prepared to wake up with tent soaking wet if the fog rolls in :-)

Wedding Rock and the hiking trails around are spectacular. Look out for blackberries all along the trail to pick. Ferndale is nice if you like Victorians.

There is a recreated Yurok village in the park that is somewhat interesting .. Targeted more to boy scouts i thought. Anyway, if this interests you, then definitely stop in Klamath up north and read for background http://www.yuroktribe.org/culture/ also fascinating history around disputes between tribes fishing Klamath salmon and Dept of Interior.

The Requa Inn is owned by a Yurok family and is nice and relaxing with GREAT food (maybe the only formal dining in Klamath). tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32564-d613073-…

Be sure to go to the Requa Rd Overlook for great views of the Klamath. Also try smoked salmon from the river smoked Yurok style. Can't say it is my favorite but definitely not Applebees.

And if you are like me, you will want to gas up at the Costco in Eureka.

Are you looking for camping further up north too? And did you mean Fern Canyon or Fern Gully?

Edited: 10:39 am, July 21, 2013
San Francisco...
reviews: 107
3. Re: Patrick's Point and Fern Gully

Sorry.. Gave you link to hotel reviews instead of restaurant. If you decide to eat that Requa Inn, you need to make reservations the day before. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g32564-d20…

In CC, i actually liked the Thai House. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60944-d14…

If interested, check out Battery Pt Lighthouse (accessible only at low tide), Enderts Beach and of course drive Drury Scenic Parkway with redwood walks on the way.

Good place for picnic is Prairie Creek at the picnic area in the campground -- your Agate campground sticker might get you free parking for access to the picnic tables under giant redwoods …tripadvisor.com/media/…S66565578

Plus the trails at Prarie Creek are great.

Santa Clara...
4. Re: Patrick's Point and Fern Gully

Thnaks Al! We're sleeping on our truck bed under a hard campershell. No more tent camping after a freak snow storm in Yosemite and rain in Yellostone. Just no fun. We have Bed Rug installed and it's very comfy. I was pleasantly surprised to find spots for Labor Day this late. I think I read you have camped here. Any preference for Agate over Abalone? Chose Agate due to closer to beach.

Yes I meant Fern Canyon in Orick. I think we are looking to do a few short hikes in the woods and along the coast. We are doing Half Dome in a few week so no crazy ones on this trip.

We only have 3 nighs so was just going to stick to one place. But maybe I should think about doing a last night further north? Was looking at Mill Creek or Jedediah Smith.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
5. Re: Patrick's Point and Fern Gully

As far as moving, I wouldn't bother. You probably remember that the park is a long north/south shape, so anywhere you stay, you're going to do some driving. We always take Newton Drury as it adds only about 20 minutes or so and is much nicer than the freeway - although don't get me wrong, I was 'ever so happy' when it was finally completed :-))

There are so many things to do and see in this area. To add to ALTippet's.....

Radar Station B-71

High Bluff Overlook

Douglas Bridge Memorial

The above in and around Klamath.

For things to do in and around Crescent City...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60944-c139445/Cresce…

And Eureka...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32363-c144314/Eureka…

We drove Davison Road in April out to the ocean, and poster gp1 recently visited Fern Canyon. We thought the road very rough and really not worth the drive, but to be fair, did not go all the way to Fern Canyon (Although I walk, I don't "hike"). I didn't want my nice little car to have to wade through foot-deep water, lol!

Here is gp1's trip report:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2193168-i22777-k6…

>> maybe the only formal dining in Klamath <<

LOL, that's funny! It's just about the *only* dining in Klamath ;-)

I haven't tried Chester's Chicken at the gas station yet though . . .

Edited: 3:56 pm, July 21, 2013
Santa Clara...
6. Re: Patrick's Point and Fern Gully

Thanks for that TR link half Brit!! Exactly what I needed. That travler sounds like us. We have a 2WD Ford Ranger so we should be ok with the road. We have bumped and jostled in Lassen and on Malibu dirt roads in our previous Ranger too. We have only gotten stuck in hard ice at the Mono Lake parking lot. Got out with kitty litter and shovel :p

I kinda like a little weed whacking types of trails. We both have Goretex high top boots but are not afraid to get wet... but will be careful if stream too high or flash storms. I love stream crossing and boulder skipping kind of trails. One of my favorite hike the last few years was a guided hike in Juneau to a glacier and ice cave via a temperate rain forest that involved some scrambling.

We are not looking for fine dining. Most likely will picnic for lunch and quick campsite dinner with minute rice and chilli. But will look at the recs and consider stopping if we are nearby.

I bought smoked salmon when I was in AK and those were sooo good. Where do I go around this trip? I am talking about the lox type and not the jerky type.

Edited: 4:23 pm, July 21, 2013
Eureka, California
reviews: 2
7. Re: Patrick's Point and Fern Gully

Hi chinita415

i replied to your fern canyon question on the other thread. if you plan to hike Pygmy Forest in Van Damme on your drive up your better leave very early. i would advise not to try. San Jose to Patricks Point on 101 labor day weekend with quick stops will be 7 or 8 hours. If you go up 1 it will be more.

Have Fun

GP

Santa Clara...
8. Re: Patrick's Point and Fern Gully

Thanks gp. I got confused and meant this on the way instead of Fern Canyon. Hmmm maybe on the way back? Hubs really wants to see it.

Any advice on the salmon?

Edited: 12:20 am, July 22, 2013
Eureka, California
reviews: 2
9. Re: Patrick's Point and Fern Gully

Hi chinita415

In Trinidad there is Katy's Smokehouse

http://www.katyssmokehouse.com/

I like the local Fish Brothers product, they are a local company and Murphys market in Trinidad has their fish

fishbrothers.com/www.fishbrothers.com/Home.h…

also as you pass through Klamath there are several small native American places selling smoked salmon.

Oh by the way there are now two stoplights on 101 between the Humboldt county line and Crescent City where construction is ongoing and there is only one lane open for traffic. Waits are not long less than 10 min.

Have Fun

GP

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
10. Re: Patrick's Point and Fern Gully

If you go to Crescent City, there is a deli inside the Smart Shop on the north end of town. Doesn't look like much from the outside but the friendly gals there make good, "custom" sandwiches :-)

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60944-d40…

We like Murphy's deli too!

Reply to: Patrick's Point and Fern Gully
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Trinidad