We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alpine Village, Torrance, CA.

Which Torrance hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Alamitos...
Alpine Village, Torrance, CA.

Does anyone remember Alpine Village back during the 1970's?(1975-1976) Did it ever have an indoor shopping mall? I remember this indoor shopping center complex (if memory serves me) that was just off the Harbor Freeway in Torrance. Inside, It looked old world - like the Olde Towne Mall which was also in Torrance. However, this shopping center was housed in a couple of buildings that you would walk in and out of from one end of the shopping center to the other. perhaps the center was in 2 to 4 buildings. I remember this one store at the south end of the mall that carried black and white photos of celebrities and their TV shows. Could this have been Alpine Village? Or could it have been some other place? Does anyone have any helpful information?

2 replies to this topic
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
1. Re: Alpine Village, Torrance, CA.

Yes, I remember Alpine Village way back when. The shops are still there, though not as interesting as before. They still hold the famous Oktoberfest every year where they do the Chicken Dance. Here is a photo and list of the shops.

http://www.alpinevillagecenter.com/shops/

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 13
2. Re: Alpine Village, Torrance, CA.

Alpine Village never had an indoor mall. It was always an outdoor place.

It's still there but not as glorious or as well attended as you remember. Some of the original stores are still there such as the Sallamander shoe store or the magazine shop. There is a ceramic store which sells some very interesting dish sets (I recently inquired about one and was quoted $30,000 !!)

The main attraction of course is still the annual Oktoberfest, as mentioned. During other times the restaurant does a good service and the market is usually busy. By the way, the market is no longer in the main area as you remember it. It is across the driveway from the restaurant. It's much larger and has a really good selection of items. It's also a really fun spot to grab a sandwich (freshly made at the takeout counter), grab a good German beer, and sit out in the patio.

Dr. Z

Reply to: Alpine Village, Torrance, CA.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted