We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineries on the cheap and possibly in the rain?

Which Temecula hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Beach, Ca
reviews: 2
Wineries on the cheap and possibly in the rain?

I was hoping to take a group of 4 to wine taste this weekend for my mother in-law's birthday but we are trying to stay on the cheap and it may possibly rain. Is there any chance we could find a covered picnic area and any recommendations for less expensive ($5?) wineries?

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
reviews: 17
1. Re: Wineries on the cheap and possibly in the rain?

Hello and welcome to the Temecula Forum - there are several places for picnics, but the rain will probably be an issue. The City parks located along side roads have covered eating areas. The current bout of rain is fairly warm so far and they are not predicting the cold rain to come in until Sunday. There are several parks along the Rancho California entrance into Wine Country - the two majors being the Ronald Regan Sports park and Temecu Hills Park - these two are larger parks and have covered places to eat. The rain is supposed to be heavy on Friday, but tapering off on Saturday and Sunday.

Also, it seems as though our area doesn't get the rain as much as other areas - the rain comes in pockets. Seems to always miss my house (where I need it - I live near Thorton) and hit surrounding neighborhoods.

Go here for a map of the area's parks:

cityoftemecula.org/Temecula/Residents/ParksF…

Many of the wineries offer coupons for tasting and many offer military discounts as well. Go to: www.Temeculawines.org for the websites of each of the wineries - each website for each winery gives details on coupons and how to redeem them.

Keep in mind its pretty dreary this time of the year - the vines are dormant, and look like mini-bare trees stuck in the dirt. Not much to look at.

If you decide to visit some of the smaller family owned wineries versus the big corporate ones - be mindful that the smaller ones usually require reservations - their websites will tell you. With the rain this weekend, things may be slow, but one never knows. The 'main' wineries along Rancho California road tend to be busier and have a more 'hustle' to them, while the smaller family ones are laid back and offer a more intimate tasting. Depends on what environment you are looking for.

There is an article on a local family owned winery - Doffo - today. Go here if you are interested: pe.com/business/business-headlines/20130124-…

Happy Birthday to your MIL!

Edited: 11:17 am, January 25, 2013
2. Re: Wineries on the cheap and possibly in the rain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 27, 2014