We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do it yourself?

Which Temecula hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mobile, Alabama
reviews: 55
Do it yourself?

Visiting the area for a few days to attend our nephew's wedding in Fallbrook mid September. We would love to visit a few of the wineries. Is it necessary to take a tour for this? Or, can we just tour on our own? We generally don't perfer gourp tours. Thanks a bunch

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 62
1. Re: Do it yourself?

Sure you can do it yourself but you need one person to be a designated driver and not drink OR at the very least not to swallow much of the wine!(LOL)

Edited: 5:17 pm, July 08, 2012
Mobile, Alabama
2. Re: Do it yourself?

Thanks. I didn't think it could be very hard to enjoy the day on our own. Will not swallow! Much anyway! Flipping a coin for the DD. ;) Looking forward to our trip.

Temecula, California
3. Re: Do it yourself?

There are many options for touring wine country if you choose not to drive yourself. Among your options are shuttle, trolley, limousine, taxi, jeep, hummer, bicycling, horseback riding, horse drawn carriage, helicopter tour by air or walking.

Temecula Valley Winegrowers Association has a great ‘Self-Guided Tour’ resource - http://www.temeculawines.org/winery-tours/

Keep in mind when you’re wine tasting after about 2 wine tastings you’ll be getting close to the limit for driving on your own. If you’re planning on going to more than 2 locations it’s highly recommended you have a designated driver or that you utilize one of the many tour services. You can find a listing of tour services at the Temecula Valley Convention and Visitors Bureau’s website - www.temeculacvb.com/things-to-do/wine-tours/

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
reviews: 19
4. Re: Do it yourself?

Highly suggest that you NOT bike - the two roads that serve the wine country, Rancho California Road and DePortola are not safe for bikers that are unfamiliar with the area or its traffic. Locals use these roads and they do not obey the speed limit. Remember that there are many wine tasters who also do not appoint a DD - so you are really taking a risk biking in the area. The roads do not have designated bike lines - so you'll be sharing the road with the locals and possible drunks.

Walking is also NOT advisable - with the exception of the cluster of wineries - Ponte, Wiens, South Coast where you can walk back and forth between these 3 because of their close proximity. The wineries are pretty stretched out along these roads and walking would be dangerous, not to mention lengthy. Again - the County hasn't made designated walking paths in wine country and all it takes is one person in a hurry texting away or yaking on their phone and disaster is at hand.

September is also notorious for Santa Ana winds - so if you are in the area for a short time - scheduling a hot air balloon ride may be difficult. The better pilots won't fly if the wind is up. The balloon companies are notorious for requiring a full deposit to reserve a specific date and if that date is cancelled due to weather issues (wind), they require you to re-schedule at their convenience - which may not fit into your plans. They usually refuse to offer a refund for weather issues.

VisitTemecula above - is a local group of business owners lead by a local wine shuttle company owner, and a couple of the balloon operators - just so you are aware where their advice is originating from. They formed their group to promote local businesses in the area.

Edited: 3:54 pm, July 10, 2012
Mobile, Alabama
5. Re: Do it yourself?

Thanks Meadowlark. I had already figured out that visit temecula was businesses.

I have continued to study the area and discovered that CRUSH (3rd annual) is being held while we are in town on 9/15. Sounds interesting. We plan to visit a few of the wineries on our own. I have printed the map. We will be busy with wedding festivities for a large part of the time, but can visit some of them in between. Just a couple a day is good for us. Then we may wind up driving over to the zoo in San Diego early Sunday morning before our departure on Monday for Yosemite.

Rest assured all the trips will be in our car!

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
reviews: 19
6. Re: Do it yourself?

Great to hear - if you have any specific questions, drop me a PM and I'll do my best to get you the right info.

Crush can be busy - so if you plan on staying locally - best to book ahead - but its a heck of a lot of fun!!

7. Re: Do it yourself?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 12, 2013