We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Construction Warning in Wine Country

Which Temecula hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
reviews: 18
Construction Warning in Wine Country

Hello to all of you potential wine tasters :)

The County of Riverside (in its infinite wisdom) has decided to install roundabouts at the major intersections along Rancho California Road.

The first roundabout is under construction at the corner of Anza and Rancho California Road. This has created a nightmare of traffic during the week for us locals and insane traffic on the weekends. We don't even leave the house on weekends for fear of getting stuck in the traffic.

This first roundabout (not coincidently) is located at the entrance of South Coast Winery with Ponte and Weins within walking distance. Construction is supposed to be completed by May 10 (ROFLMAO for that date!).

As a suggestion - use the De Portola Trail and visit as many of the wineries along the De Portola route as you can during construction and enter into the other wineries above South Coast along Rancho California Road by using the DePortola to Glen Oaks Road route. You'll save yourself a lot of time and aggravation with the traffic. The heat is on out here and tempers are flaring already!

Caution to those of you who have low riding vehicles, avoid the construction zone at all costs, the undercarriage of your car will get stuck in the huge depressions at the intersection of Anza Road and Rancho California Road.

Do be careful using GPS devices to navigate around the construction by using neighborhood side roads. Many of the side roads are dirt and have filled with sand during the winter months. These roads are not maintained by the County and you have significant potential to get stuck in a sand trap, especially along Calle Contento.

Good luck to all!

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
1. Re: Construction Warning in Wine Country

Just an update on the construction - crew workers have reduced the lanes of travel down to 1. Thus, there is an extended wait on either side of construction while the opposing traffic uses the one lane.

The roundabout is nearly complete and the road is easier to travel on. There is a lot of landscaping in and around the roundabout yet to be commenced.

Its still best to avoid Ponte, Weins an South Coast as they are the ones that are affected the most by this construction. If you stick to the wineries along the De Portola trail, you'll avoid all of the madness and have a relaxing stress free day.

Temecula
reviews: 12
2. Re: Construction Warning in Wine Country

UPDATE: traffic flowing on Rancho Cal Road in both directions through the roundabout as of this morning. However, tha project is not yet complete so expect some slowing due to cones and construction crews.

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
3. Re: Construction Warning in Wine Country

Yes! Finally - the roundabout is open! Just used it this afternoon to pick up my daughter from school.

However, do be CAREFUL and go SLOW. The county made the lanes incredibly narrow and winding. I give it 30 days and there will be an accident because someone is not paying attention due texting, talking on the phone, speeding or DWI. Also, watch out for the workers - they are along the road and inside the roundabout installing landscaping. Top heavy vehicles, like the shuttle buses, will have a quite a sway while in the roundabout.

Would still probably avoid Weins, Ponte and South Coast for at least another week or so.

Edited: 6:08 pm, May 03, 2012
Redlands, California
reviews: 30
4. Re: Construction Warning in Wine Country

Ooh, can't wait to negotiate it on my next visit! I just got back from Sedona where they have embraced their "inner roundabout" with a vengeance--but from the amount of black tire scuff on all nearby curbs, and ON the roundabout, drivers have a steep learning curve!

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
5. Re: Construction Warning in Wine Country

Vnrose - I've been to Sedona - and their roundabouts are soooo much easier than this one. This is an lawsuit waiting for an accident.

They've installed 4 inch curbs at a 90 degree angle with the road all along the roundabout and about 300 feet on both sides of the narrow lane as you enter/exit the roundabout. At least the roundabouts in Sedona have negligible curbing and don't 'guide' the car from the roundabout for another 300 feet after exiting or as you enter.

Add to this that its in the wine country with its inebriated drivers on cell phones or texting, one hand on the wheel, speeding to the next winery.

Juan Perez of RCTMLA and his crew really messed it up this time. I'll bet you they will be making 'adjustments' within a year, but not before some serious accidents occur.

Temecula
reviews: 1
6. Re: Construction Warning in Wine Country

I just recently "navigated" the roundabout on a fairly busy day and traffic was flowing nicely! Once the landscaping is complete, it will be a beautiful addition to wine country!

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
7. Re: Construction Warning in Wine Country

@ Temeculatourism - so long as the county uses some common sense with landscaping that doesn't inhibit sight lines - but the county hasn't been known for its common sense in the past. Apparently, you missed all of the black tire marks along the 4 inch curbs along the roundabout - pointing to the fact that the driving public is having difficulty with the entry/exit points. Also, I've noticed a lot of confusion of drivers using the roundabout during peak commuting hours. Time will tell if this was a huge mistake, which I think it was.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
8. Re: Construction Warning in Wine Country

After driving in the UK for weeks a couple of years ago, I find roundabouts to be the instrument of the devil. Horrible things and US drivers are not familiar with them to know the proper etiquette for getting into and out of them properly.

I would recommend that those planning on heading to Temecula (which is lovely) should pay close attention when navigating this section of road.

9. Re: Construction Warning in Wine Country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, June 18, 2013