We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temecula Wineries

Which Temecula hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Temecula Wineries

We are arriving next Thursday and thought we would go over to Temecula for the day to visit a winery. This will be my first time for a wine tasting so I would love recommendations on which winery to visit.

9 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 338
1. Re: Temecula Wineries

You might look at Thornton Champagne Cellars, Callaway Vineyards, the Ponte Family Estate Winery, Wilson Creek Winery & Vineyard and Leonesse Cellars.

http://www.thorntonwine.com/

http://www.temeculawines.org/

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 344
2. Re: Temecula Wineries

We like Thorton for lunch also.

Santa Cruz...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Temecula Wineries

mmmmThornton...do try the sparkling red! Also, very close to there is Hart. It is not glamorous, you taste in the cellar. But very authentic and a good education if it's your first time. They carry some not so well know varieties that you may really enjoy.

San Diego...
4. Re: Temecula Wineries

Glad I found this topic. I have never been to Temecula before, although practically I live around the corner. Anyway, tomorrow is the big day for me to taste some Temecula wine. I'm excited about the trip and picking up the last bits and pieces of information before we leave.

Just added Thornton to my visiting list. Thanks.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
5. Re: Temecula Wineries

I think it is a much better wine tasting experience to try some of the smaller lesser known wineries!! We had a lot of fun doing that a few weeks ago and will be back next week to try some more.

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
reviews: 16
6. Re: Temecula Wineries

Try the DePortola Trail wineries - I think you'll be happier with the quality of wines, crowds and the service. Too many people drive down Rancho California Road and visit the huge corporate owned wineries there, not knowing that there are many more smaller (and better) wineries along the DePortola route.

If you decide to go to Thorton - pop over across the street to Hart - they have a very very good reputation and they are family owned/operated. They really take care of their customers and you never get that 'corporate business' feel while tasting their wines.

Thorton has a beautiful building, but their restaurant is highly overpriced for the quantity/quality of food that you'll receive. There are much better food choices at Meritage or Pinnacle. Prices are significantly better there too. Wilson Creek, South Coast, Wiens, and Ponte restaurants are going to be crazy insane busy for any weekend eating experience as well as wine tasting. Ponte's new Inn opened just this spring to mixed reviews.

Also, don't forget to get the SIP Pass - it will save on wine tasting costs.

LA
7. Re: Temecula Wineries

where do i get a SIP Pass ?

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
reviews: 16
8. Re: Temecula Wineries

Hi - you're a little late for that - it runs for the month of September.

For future reference, you can get info on them here: www.temeculawines.org

Chicago, IL
reviews: 23
9. Re: Temecula Wineries

We absolutely LOVED the Callaway winery, the scenery/view and their wines. Awesome!!!!

Also Mt. Palomar has a great view and a lovely tasting bar. The food is very very good, too.

Reply to: Temecula Wineries
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted