We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best spot for lunch or dinner at winery?

Which Temecula hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles, CA
reviews: 1
Best spot for lunch or dinner at winery?

We have been wine tasting in Temecula a few times, but haven't done many lunches/dinners at the wineries. (Had dinner a few times at South Coast - not my fave, but could've been off night.) We will be back at South Coast for one night and have an 11:30am tasting with pairings scheduled there. (Included in Travelzoo deal.) Other than that, nothing planned. Our favorite winery is Leonesse so we'll definitely head there at some point, but wanted suggestions on good lunch or dinner spots. Will be there on a Monday and noticed many restaurants are not open then.... Thanks in advance!

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
reviews: 17
1. Re: Best spot for lunch or dinner at winery?

Your choices are limited to:

Wilson Creek

SouthCoast

Faulkner (Pinnacle)

Calloway (Meritage)

Thorton.

Faulkner and Meritage provide 'views' as they sit up on hilltops versus the other 3 that sit down in the valley.

I personally enjoy the food at Meritage and then Pinnacle. The other locations have good menus, but Thorton and South Coast are extremely overpriced in my opinion for what they offer. Also, the service at either can be a bit stuffy at times, but having Sean as your server at breakfast at South Coast is always a joy -ask to be placed in his section if you go have breakfast at the restaurant - special treat is their Banana Foster's Pancake! Wilson Creek's reception staff has a bit of a 'tude', but their serving staff is good, as is their menu. Ponte's restaurant is outside patio dining, which on Monday may be an issue with the cold windy weather that's hitting us now and expected to continue until Wednesday. Ponte has been good for us with the exception of the last visit for lunch. They changed their menu and the changes were not positive for me personally.

It is cold and windy today and this is expected to continue through Wednesday, so bring a jacket with a back-up umbrella as they are calling for rain/mists/showers off and on until Wednesday a.m. The wind is bone chilling and will be at either Pinnacle or Meritage as they are up on the hill exposed to the wind.

Have a great time!

Temecula
reviews: 12
2. Re: Best spot for lunch or dinner at winery?

There are actually ten restaurants in Southern California Wine Country.

Completing the list from the five listed in the previous post, other winery restaurants can be found at:

Baily Winery (Carol's Restaurant)

Maurice Car'rie Winery (Maurice's Kitchen)

Leoness Cellars (The Restaurant at Leoness Cellars)

Mount Palomar Winery (Shorty's Bistro)

Ponte Winery (The Restaurant at Ponte)

Since Leoness is your favorite winery, their restaurant might be worth a try.

I've tried all ten - multiple times - and I've never been disappointed.

As you noticed, hours of operation at winery restaurants can be very different from in-town restaurants. Many are only open for lunch, and several are open only on weekends.

There are also plenty of winery options for catered meals above and beyond this list, especially for parties of 12 or more.

Cheers!

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
reviews: 17
3. Re: Best spot for lunch or dinner at winery?

John - she was going on a Monday in February. Maurice's Kitchen, Leoness Cellars, Shorty's Bistro and Carol's are all closed on a Monday. Shorty's will open after March during the week with their summer hours.

Temecula
reviews: 12
4. Re: Best spot for lunch or dinner at winery?

By the way, for those interested in this topic, two more wineries plan to begin offering new lunch options starting within the next few months. I'll post when either becomes official.

Temecula
reviews: 1
5. Re: Best spot for lunch or dinner at winery?

Thanks for the update John! I can't wait to try out the new lunch spots in wine country!

6. Re: Best spot for lunch or dinner at winery?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:45 am, June 11, 2013