We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I need chains for Caliente and Tehachapi?

Which Tehachapi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lemoore, California
Will I need chains for Caliente and Tehachapi?

Hi! I am trying to go on a trip to Las Vegas. I am coming from Lemoore California (by Fresno) and I am going through Bakersfield and Caliente and Tehachapi to get to Vegas. I was wondering if I need to bring chains with me for the tires when I go through those areas. I want to be leaving this Friday. I looked at the weather forcasts in those areas and the weather seems to be fine. But idk if that matters at all. Please help me :s

7 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 2,745
1. Re: Will I need chains for Caliente and Tehachapi?

If its not snowing, you will not need chains.

Best to go during daylight hours.

We've driven this the last 4 years around now - and no chains (yeah we have encountered snow at night...but during the day none...but none required chains)

For current road information in advance though you might check

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

and as you said the current forecast for when you are going is no precipitation

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Tehachapi+CA+93561

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 9
2. Re: Will I need chains for Caliente and Tehachapi?

I would be more concerned with black ice through the Tehachapi mountains, than snow.

Since Highway 58 is a major artery, they keep the highway clear of snow. You won't need chains. It's when the snow starts to melt that black ice can occur. So do take it slow if the roadway appears wet.

I doubt you'll have any problems getting through that area, though.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 379
3. Re: Will I need chains for Caliente and Tehachapi?

If you have chains bring them. It is highly unlikely you'll need them, but better to have them and not need them then need them and not have them.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
4. Re: Will I need chains for Caliente and Tehachapi?

Highly unusual you will need them but Scott has a point there.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 50
5. Re: Will I need chains for Caliente and Tehachapi?

Hello Lauren S, and welcome to TripAdvisor and the Tehachapi forum.

I'm the local ;'dog around here, and I know of no snow or ice on CA Route 58 from Bakersfield through Tehachapi to Mojave at present. As mini mentioned it's good to check Caltrans road conditions via the link provided at post #1.

I doubt it will snow or have ice on the roadway Friday. As Kibbles mentioned, CA Route 58 is a major artery through Bakersfield to Barstow and I-40 and I-15, and the traffic from trucks and cars generally mitigate against snow sticking to the roads. The forecast for Friday is sunny, with a high of 51 in Tehachapi. Thursday night will have a low of 36, according to the National Weather Service. Should be no difficulties traveling. Scott of course has good advice. . . be prepared anyways for whatever may occur.

Off topic a bit, but Caliente isn't usually where travelers go to from Lemoore by Hanford down CA Route 99 to Bakersfield and through Tehachapi to Barstow and Las Vegas. Caliente is several miles north of CA Route 58 by a two lane county road that gets little traffic. FYI.

Have a safe trip, and enjoy your travels to Las Vegas.

Lemoore, California
6. Re: Will I need chains for Caliente and Tehachapi?

Thank you! :D

Lemoore, California
7. Re: Will I need chains for Caliente and Tehachapi?

Thank you for your info on how to get to Vegas!

Reply to: Will I need chains for Caliente and Tehachapi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted