We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas to Bakersfield Christmas road conditions

Which Tehachapi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
reviews: 23
Vegas to Bakersfield Christmas road conditions

We are driving at christmas dp Vegas at 6 pm to Bakersfield. Are we likely to encounter any poor road conditions? I am wondering about fog and snow. I am assuming 15 then 58 is the way to go. How long should this take?

5 replies to this topic
Vancouver...
reviews: 24
1. Re: Vegas to Bakersfield Christmas road conditions

Yes, you are very likely to encounter bad road conditions going over the mountains. Yes, 15 to 58 is the way. How long? Depends on the road conditions. Looks like about 300 miles. Figure out what your average mph will be and do the math. Chuck...

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
2. Re: Vegas to Bakersfield Christmas road conditions

If a storm is passing through at the time, then, yes, there could be snow/ice on the mountain passes in/around Tehachapi. Then you'll likely have the joy (NOT!) of descending into a foggy central valley with limited visibility, which means you'll have to slow down and pray no one slams into the back of you.

Under normal conditions, it's a 5 hour drive.

Edited: 9:46 pm, November 17, 2011
Palmdale, California
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 44
3. Re: Vegas to Bakersfield Christmas road conditions

Hello, guleed, and welcome to the Tehachapi forum.

My "crystal ball" says no. I can't remember a time on Christmas night where Tehachapi Pass was closed, and I live here. Anything is possible on Tehachapi Pass, as it's in four season country where snow and ice can occur in Winter, but no. You should be fine.

In the event my "crystal ball" is wrong, pay very close attention to Kibblesmom's advice above. I've encountered these exact same conditions of foggy San Joaquin Valley pea soup that you couldn't see out of to save your soul. . . hoping no one in back of you doesn't race to your tail and put you out of commission. If it's really that bad, I'd park your vehicle well out of the roadway and wait it out. Your life is more important than the temporary comfort of being on the road to a motel.

Interstate 15 to California State Route 58 it is. Take a break at Barstow for fuel and refreshments. . .lowest prices on the way. I recommend the Flying J traveler's stop at the Lenwood offramp just past the new CA Route 58 turnoff. At the end of the ramp, turn left over the viaduct and you'll see it on your left. Big sign. Low fuel prices, clean and modern facility.

270 miles in distance for this trip, four and a half hours with no stops. Enjoy your travels with us.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
reviews: 32
4. Re: Vegas to Bakersfield Christmas road conditions

Glad I found this thread. Hadn't even considered this, although I should have. We are planning a cross country trip on 26th, and I'm aiming to be going through Tehachapi about 3 pm. As I just wrote on another post, we once got routed off at Tehachapi (eco-sensitive accident, not weather) and we loved main street. Think we ate at a bakery. And the folks at the police station were so helpful. Anyway, looks like I better check weather reports for that day.

Winnipeg
reviews: 23
5. Re: Vegas to Bakersfield Christmas road conditions

Heh thankyou underdog and others for the excellent advice. That is exactly what i wanted to know. Driving in snow is normal for where we are. Today in fact we had a dump. Hills and fog on the other hand are new to me. I'll follow your advice for the road and the stop for gas too at the flying J

Reply to: Vegas to Bakersfield Christmas road conditions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted