We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Kayak near Tahoma?

Which Tahoma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 44
Where to Kayak near Tahoma?

We will be staying in Tahoma (just for one day en route to Lassen Volcanic np). We'd like to kayak on the lake. I've seen that there's kayak rental at Meek's Bay.

Is this a good place to kayak from?

Where should we aim for in the kayak?

Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
Rocklin, California
reviews: 20
1. Re: Where to Kayak near Tahoma?

There are numerous kayak rental places around the lake, Tahoe City comes to mind, which isn't far from Tahoma (there may even be rentals there). My sister kayaks the lake regularly and I think she pretty much covers the north end of the lake and heads around it to the Sand Harbor area - lots of recommendations I've seen suggest kayaking in that area for the views (which is near Incline Village, and probably some kayak rentals there, too). It may just depend on how long/far you want to go. For the best kayaking, I do know you want to do early in the day as the wind comes up and lake can get pretty rough.

2. Re: Where to Kayak near Tahoma?

Ah... Ok, so maybe we should cancel that plan. We're driving from Mono Lake that morning, and driving to Lassen Volvanic NP the next day, so had hoped we could spend a car-free afternoon relaxing in Tahoma.

So if kayaking in the afternoon isn't a good plan, do you have any other suggestions for whiling away the afternoon?

California
reviews: 12
3. Re: Where to Kayak near Tahoma?

I would launch from Meeks Bay and head south toward DL Bliss and Emerald Bay depending on the amount of time you have. This is a fantastic section of the lake and is mostly very calm unlike the east side of hte lake which gets choppy in the afternoon. This area is called the gold coast/Rubicon. It is mostly not visible from the road side and only from the lake so you get sccenery not everyone has seen.

If you kayak on the north side you should do that early in the ady to avoid the wind.

Edited: 4:53 pm, May 26, 2012
4. Re: Where to Kayak near Tahoma?

So we should be ok to go in the afternoon then? That's very helpful! Thank you so much!

California
reviews: 12
5. Re: Where to Kayak near Tahoma?

You will be fine for an afternoon kayak on the west side but not from the north to Sand harbor. Watch the weather in any event.

Reply to: Where to Kayak near Tahoma?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tahoma
Recent Conversations