We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snow chains

Which Tahoe Vista hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Lake Tahoe...
reviews: 88
snow chains

I am from Prague, Czechoslovakia Europe and therefore am unfamiliar with lake tahoe. I am hiring from one of the large car rental companies a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Reno for travel 16-25 January 08 to the ski resorts around the lake. The renter says the tyres are 'all weather' (not snow tyres and no studs) and they offer chains. Does one need chains? There is a free shuttle from red wolf lodge on the lake, but as it returns at 4.30pm, that stops night skiing at Squaw Valley. PS Red Wolf haven't replied to emails ; - their only email address isfor some guy in sth los angelese. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

California
reviews: 12
1. Re: snow chains

All weather 4 wheel drive will be fine. Is the jeep 4 wheel drive? It would have to be awfully bad if the 4wheel drive with all weather tires needed chains.

South Lake Tahoe...
reviews: 88
2. Re: snow chains

Thank you Suzie-travels.

The California dmv site mentioned r2 and r3 days where chains must be carried or one is told to go home. Are there many r2 or r3 days in mid to late january?

"All weather" to me does not mean the same special rubber tyre which does not harden rocksolid in 10F/-12 Celsius.

Choosing a "SUV" was hard. Most are really 2 wheel drives!The Jeep Grand Cherokee was the only true 4x4 I could find,(though most US cars have different names for the same models sold overseas).

California
reviews: 12
3. Re: snow chains

I have 3 4 wheel drive vehicles to drive in the sierra. I have never put on, nor carried chains. My DH drives to the sierra during the snow every day using a 4 wheel drive and has never carried nor put on chains. It is likely that Cal Trans would close the road before they would require a 4 wheel drive to put on chains. If the consditions are so severe that a 4 wheel drive required chains you should consider a different alternative.

4. Re: snow chains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Tahoe Vista