We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Move to Stockton?

Which Stockton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
reviews: 9
Move to Stockton?

My husband has a choice between moving to Stockton, CA or Jacksonville, FL. I've lived in Jax and love it and want to move back, however I want to be open. I have lived in Tulare CA for 2 years and really have a hard time with it due to lack of nature nearby of any kind practically and nothing to do. I guess either of these other cities is a step up. Is Stockton a nice place to live? Does it have much in terms of nature in the area itself (not 2 hours away like where I live now)?. Any thoughts on it compared to FL (aside from the tax issue)?

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
reviews: 69
1. Re: Move to Stockton?

The Stockton area has been especially hard hit by the sub-prime mortgage crisis and an alarming number of properties have been foreclosed on. If one can qualify, you can get a lot of home for the price in Stockton. Air pollution and traffic congestion can be a real problem in the area. Since the city is loc'd at the south end of the Calif. Delta, there are marinas and waterways to enjoy. For me, the best area closeby for natural scenery and hiking would be to the north, above Lodi, where the Cosumnes River Preserve provides some beautiful areas to hike and observe waterfowl. I'd say it's a little over an hr's drive up there from downtown Stockton. I would strongly suggest going to Stockton and staying there for at least a couple of days, explore the area and talk to locals before you make any decisions.

Southern California
reviews: 13
2. Re: Move to Stockton?

Stockton is not an attractive city. For outdoors activities gold country and Tahoe are 2-3 hours. The ocean is also about 2 hours. If it were me I'd choose Florida.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
3. Re: Move to Stockton?

I lived in Stockton for 4 years in the 60's. I remember the air heavy with peat in the spring from nearby rice fields. Don't know if those fields still exist or if the peat is still a problem, but, from what I've heard about the crime in Stockton in recent years, I would shy away from it.

SF Bay Area
4. Re: Move to Stockton?

There are some lovely places in the Delta area, just minutes away from Stockton, if you like boating or fishing. They've been doing some habitat restoration along the levees so there are reeds as you boat by instead of rock. Waterbirds love the reeds. I've seen great blue herons, snowy egrets, a green heron and heard hundreds of blackbirds.

Stockton itself can get baking hot in the summer and socked in with thick, chilly tule fog in the winter.

Stockton, CA
reviews: 44
5. Re: Move to Stockton?

I have been a resident of Stockton for the past 24 years. I visited Jacksonville a few years ago, so I do have some perspective of both cities for comparison.

The answer to your question is a matter of personal preference. Let me give you my list of pros and cons. Obviously, my list for Stockton will be much more extensive.

Stockton Pros

Thousands of miles of waterways in the Delta.

Wonderful university setting.

Lively minor league sports scene.

Affordable for California.

Warm summers that cool off in the evening due to the delta breeze.

Ethnically diverse population

Nearby to San Francisco, Yosemite, Sacramento, Lake Tahoe.

Stockton Cons

No major airport in town. Have to drive to Sacramento.

Not a large city, so missing some large city amenities.

Hiking and outdoor trails are limited.

Poor reputation for crime.

Jacksonville Pros

Large city, plenty of big city amenities.

Pro sports - NFL!

Ocean practically in your back yard.

Jacksonville Cons

Humidity...sorry.

Flat land, no mountains anywhere.

Hurricaines

To me, the weather in Jacksonville is enough to turn me off, but then again, I'm a native Californian and couldn't imagine living in Florida's humidity.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
6. Re: Move to Stockton?

Stockton doesn't exactly have pleasant weather by California standards, but I've been told the humidity in Florida is quite bad. Also, a recently released study on the walkability of the 40 largest cities in the U.S. ranked Jacksonville at number 40!

If California were a creature, Stockton would be its armpit and Blythe would be its unmentionables. Words to live by.

Now, about Stockton... Do you really have to live *in* Stockton? Or can you just live nearby? Stockton itself has a bit of a crime problem in parts...

7. Re: Move to Stockton?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:22 am, October 06, 2009