We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ADVICE: route Stockton/Victorville w/car in tow (summer)

Which Stockton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 76
ADVICE: route Stockton/Victorville w/car in tow (summer)

I'm hauling a 26' rental truck w/car carrier in tow to Stockton to Victorville in late June. It's hot, I'm going solo. Should I stay safe and go out of my way via the I-5 & grapevine to the 14, or better to grab the 99 eventually to the 15S?

Do truckers prefer the 99? I'll probably tag along w/them a good part of the way. I'm concerned about the grapevine ups&downs with a heavy load + car carrier, but don't want to be in too remote stretches being by myself (in case of mechanical trouble, engine overheating, etc.)

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
reviews: 5
1. Re: ADVICE: route Stockton/Victorville w/car in tow (summer)

The truckers are on both highways.

Have a look at www.mapquest.com. Consider taking the 58 East at Bakersfield, then contiuing on to victorville on 395 South. The 58 out of Bakersfiled is a more gentle grade to me versus the Grapevine. The road is really nice and not as many truckers as the Grapevine. It's easier to get on the 58 from the 99.

Good Luck!!

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
2. Re: ADVICE: route Stockton/Victorville w/car in tow (summer)

The 155 is a remote highway through the mountains. Not where I would want to be driving a rental truck towing a car. Take the 99 down to 58 east through the Tehachapi Mountains into Mojave and continue to Barstow to the 15 and turn southwest toward Victorville.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
3. Re: ADVICE: route Stockton/Victorville w/car in tow (summer)

Hi LV, we just drove that same route a few weeks ago with our dually pickup towing our 30' travel trailer - fairly similar size rig @ 54' overall length.

No reason to go all the way to Barstow!

My suggestion would be to take Hwy 99 to Hwy 58 all the way to Hwy 395, then south to Victorville, jogging a bit east on Hwy 18, depending upon your final destination around Victorville.

Hwy 99 is fine, all freeway of course. Hwy 58 is a divided road, has a steepish grade going east, but not too bad. You'll have lots of company, it's not remote or anything.

We took Hwy 14 south and then picked up Hwy 138 east, since we wanted to go by our old town, but following 58 to 395 would probably be better for you since it's wider.

Everywhere you go there will be people, some traffic and Highway Patrols, so you won't feel you're out in the middle of nowhere all by yourself, lol! Oh, and other than along Hwy 158 for a few miles, your cell phone should work everywhere :-)

4. Re: ADVICE: route Stockton/Victorville w/car in tow (summer)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, October 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Stockton