We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stockton not safe???

Which Stockton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stockton not safe???

Have a bowling tournament in STockton in July. What cities are near there?

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
reviews: 69
1. Re: Stockton not safe???

Re: safety, it really depends on the area, just like any large city. We've stayed at the Stockton Grand Hotel (Grand Canal Blvd.) and the area was fine. But if you'd prefer non-chain lodging, and a small town feeling, I highly recommend staying in Lodi, about 15 mi. north of Stockton--but beware commute traffic which could really add a load of driving time even given the relatively short distance. At the northern end of Lodi, Wine and Roses Inn (www.winerose.com) is a wonderful place to stay, but it is more expensive than typical lodging in the area.

Stockton, CA
reviews: 44
2. Re: Stockton not safe???

I grew up in the Bay Area and moved to Stockton in the early 80's. Stockton is no more unsafe than any large city. Like any city, be safe and don't do things that would put you in any compromising situation. That said, don't leave valuables in plain site in your car. Don't wander off unfamiliar areas alone. If it feels wrong, don't do it.

As for lodging, most places along March Ln. are perfectly fine places to stay. They are in well lit, popular locations. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Holiday Inn (a little close to a not so good neighborhood), but all the others along March Ln. are just fine.

3. Re: Stockton not safe???

Thanks for your imput. How is Lodi?

Stockton, CA
4. Re: Stockton not safe???

Lodi is charming...the Central Valley's answer to Napa. Not a whole going on in the evening, so if you want night life, Lodi is pretty darned sleepy.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 13
5. Re: Stockton not safe???

What about downtown? Planning on hockey at the end of the month... with no car. I'm pretty sure I'll be staying the other side of Weber Point.

Stockton, CA
6. Re: Stockton not safe???

Downtown Stockton has only two real lodging options, Howard Johnson's and the Sheraton hotel. Howard Johnson's is a fairly basic motel. The Sheraton is brand new and beautiful, though on the pricier side, and right next to the arena where hockey is played. Without a car in downtown Stockton may be a bit limiting as there are not too many food choices and no real grocery stores. You may wish to consider a motel on March Ln, then take public transportation or a taxi downtown.

7. Re: Stockton not safe???

okay, March lane? Is this the "hub" for food, entertainment etc...

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 13
8. Re: Stockton not safe???

March Lane is pretty far north, IIRC. Well, a handful of miles, anyway...

Stockton, CA
9. Re: Stockton not safe???

March Ln is 3 freeway exits from downtown. Very doable by cab if you don't have a car. There are many more motels and restaurants along March Ln. than there are downtown. Downtown is not too bad of a neighborhood nowadays, but little to do.

I went to the hockey game last Friday vs Idaho. It's a great arena with very spirited fans.

10. Re: Stockton not safe???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, September 22, 2009