We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April ski...so confused

Which Squaw Valley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
maroochydore
reviews: 3
April ski...so confused

I have searched the forums but am still unclear and am hoping someone can clarify. My understanding that our best chance of snow in mid April is either Mammoth or Squaw. We would like to stay either ski in/out or a short walk to the lifts/gondola. We would also like to be easy access to bars food etc. we Will not have a car as we will be coming from Australia.

Please help clear the confusion!

12 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
reviews: 30
1. Re: April ski...so confused

What's the question?

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
2. Re: April ski...so confused

Just because you are coming in from Australia does not mean you can't rent a car.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
3. Re: April ski...so confused

Erin's question is....is there really snow in April in Mammoth or Squaw? They would like to be able to ski in and out. The car issue is irrelevant to this, I think.

I cannot answer the question about the snow. And probably someone from Hawaii or Dublin cannot either.

Near Yosemite...
4. Re: April ski...so confused

April is the end of snow season and who knows what the conditions will be in April. However, Mammoth usually has the most snow at the end of the season. It can be difficult to get to Mammoth without a car. It can be easier to get to Squaw. Both places will meet your requirements for short walks to lifts and access to bars and restaurants.

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
5. Re: April ski...so confused

In her other post, she states they want to be there for two weeks with four kids.

I think a car is gonna be very relevant.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
6. Re: April ski...so confused

Not as relevant as snow in April, I think. Then the car is irrelevant unless there is snow. I understand you can fly into Mammoth. How do all of the people who fly into Mammoth to ski get around? If there is snow, I think that Erin can figure out whether she needs a car when she gets there.

NOW.....what are the chances of snow in mid April? Do we have some past records? If it were you, would you risk booking from Australia for a ski-in-ski-out in mid April?

maroochydore
7. Re: April ski...so confused

OK...so by being confused I seem to have confused others! Let me be blunt.

Where is best for snow mid April ?

I only want to walk and/or ski once I get there.....I do not want to be packing a car every day with 4 kids and their gear si I was looking for accom recommendations which are a very short walk or ski to lifts and amenities.

We have been to Big White BC before and this works for us....I just thought it might be cool to try elsewhere but not if a few simple criteria can't be met!

CaSwede and Puter....thanks for you help

Santa Clara...
reviews: 17
8. Re: April ski...so confused

I answered in your other post, but will repeat that I would choose Mammoth for the snow. I have skied both for many years. You can easily get a condo close to lift without being right by the expensive places. I think options are better for that at Mammoth.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 24
9. Re: April ski...so confused

You don't need a car in mammoth, not even to get groceries. The free shuttle runs through the month of June.

You can fly into mammoth from many cities.

There is always plenty of snow in April, it's one of the best times to go.

Mammoth closes each year in June with at least a ten foot base still on the mountain. Squaw closes earlier but will also be great skiing in April

maroochydore
10. Re: April ski...so confused

Thank you all for your help. Definitely gonna stay in the Village. Will either fly. Up or get a one way rental. Will probably hod off on buying lift passes in the hope that there is a late season discount. Feeling way less confused now

Reply to: April ski...so confused
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted