We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympic Inn and Squaw Valley, looking for information

Which Squaw Valley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pittsburgh
reviews: 15
Olympic Inn and Squaw Valley, looking for information

My husband and I and 2 of our daughters and their spouses will traveling to Lake Tahoe area the 2nd week of August 2013 and will be staying at the Olympic Inn in Squaw Valley. I am lookinf for suggestions on things to do, places to eat. We would also like to travel down to the South Lake Tahoe area at least once during our visit. We are interested in wine tasing, scenic walks, swimming, sight seeing. We also like historic towns. any info would be appreciated.

12 replies to this topic
California
reviews: 7
1. Re: Olympic Inn and Squaw Valley, looking for information

Are you going to stay at the Olympic Village Inn? I assume you have 2 rooms. Each room sleeps 4.

This is a timeshare resort with 1 bedroom and living area with a sofa bed and kitchette. They are small units, but we spend most of our time outside.

Call 1-2 weeks before to request a 1st floor unit. There are patio tables you can use in front of the units (800-845-5243 or 530-581-6000). The units on the 2nd and 3rd floors have small balconies. I like the rooms near the rec building, #120-128.

They have an orientation meeting early in the week to review what to do.

On your way to Squaw, stop in Truckee to pick up groceries. There is a Save Mart and CVS on 89, about 20 mins from OVI. You may want to get food for Breakfast, Dinner, drinks and snacks. There is a small refrigerator in the room.

Things to do:

1. Bike ride to River Ranch. They have free bikes to use. There is a bike trail from Squaw along the Truckee river to River Ranch. You can have lunch there on the deck and watch the rafters exit.

2. Rafting. This is a gentle float down the Truckee river from Tahoe City to River Ranch. You can park across the street from River Ranch and they will bus you to the start point. Bring a cooler with drinks and snacks.

3. Hiking. There is a nice hike out the back door to Shirley Lake. Check with the Activities desk if they have a group trip planned. For a longer hike you can go from the lake up to High Camp and then take the tram down.

4. View. Drive down the West side of the lake to Emerald Bay. Get there before 10am on weekends otherwise parking can be an issue. There is a short hike down to Vikingsholm http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=506

5. BBQ. There are BBQ grills for use near the pool and picnic tables.

6. South Shore. After a quick stop at Emerald Bay, you can continue the drive to get to South Shore.

7. Places to Eat. There are some good restaurants in the Village at Squaw. Rockers has a nice patio with a view of the moutain. Rosie's Cafe in Tahoe City is a good choice for breakfast or lunch.

On the West side of the lake Sunnyside is a good choice for lunch with lake side diining.

8. Shopping. There are some nice shops in Truckee and Tahoe City.

9. Historic Towns: Truckee is the closest. You could also check out the The Emigrant Trail Museum, located at Donner Memorial State Park near Truckee. It depicts the history of the area and the people who came into this part of the Sierra, including local Native Americans

10. Swimming. OVI has a pool for lap swimming and 5 hot tubs. They also have a work-out gym with equipment. There is a large pool for swiming at the top of the Squaw tram at High Camp. You can also have luch up there after a short hike. Lake Tahoe is too cold to swim in. There are some nice beaches around the lake.

11. Wine Tasting. There is a wine bar in the Village at Squaw. You should check to see if there are any other wine tasting events while your are there.

http://www.gotahoenorth.com/events

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 33
2. Re: Olympic Inn and Squaw Valley, looking for information

Lunch or Dinner on the patio at Garwoods near Carnelian Bay is a must. Awesome view and good food.

pittsburgh
3. Re: Olympic Inn and Squaw Valley, looking for information

Thanks alot for all this information. This is totally awesome. I was lucky enough and had enough points and was able to get 4 separate units. I just found out that we got the 4th unit on Friday. I will take all of your advice. The guys are hoping to do charter fishing one day too.

thanks agan,

Diane

Edited: 3:29 pm, February 17, 2013
California
4. Re: Olympic Inn and Squaw Valley, looking for information

Check out Olympic Village Inn on Facebook. They usually post information about events and activities.

pittsburgh
5. Re: Olympic Inn and Squaw Valley, looking for information

Will do.

pittsburgh
6. Re: Olympic Inn and Squaw Valley, looking for information

What area is Carnelien Bay?

pittsburgh
7. Re: Olympic Inn and Squaw Valley, looking for information

Is Lake Tahoe too cold to swin in all year round? We will be going in August and I was hopin to at least take a little dip in a shallow part.

California
8. Re: Olympic Inn and Squaw Valley, looking for information

You could try Commons Beach Park in Tahoe City.

The temperature in August is usually in the 80s, so the cold water can feel good.

pittsburgh
9. Re: Olympic Inn and Squaw Valley, looking for information

Thanks .

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 341
10. Re: Olympic Inn and Squaw Valley, looking for information

The water is always cold in Tahoe, but feels great in summer for short bursts.

For restaurants not too far, Sunnyside Restaurant is a fun place with good views and is part of the small chain that has Duke's & Hula Grill in Hawaii, love the Pfeifer House Restaurant, Soule Domain and the Lone Eagle Grill in Incline Village.

Instead of South Lake Tahoe I'd consider Virginia City (of Bonanza fame). It is a bit further than South Lake, but worth the effort.

Reply to: Olympic Inn and Squaw Valley, looking for information
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted