We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

True Green Runs - Squaw Valley? (Olympic Park)

Which Squaw Valley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
True Green Runs - Squaw Valley? (Olympic Park)

I have conflicting information and want to get the facts if someone can help!

I've been told Squaw Valley is for experienced skiers only and I've been told there are good green runs and beginners do have enough terrain to have a good time (35% beginner). But someone else told me the greens and blues in Squaw Valley are like blues and blacks in other ski areas.

We have 2 couples, one couple skis blues and greens, the other couple is so new to skiing, they are completely green level skiing.

The more experienced couple has skiied Heavenly before and we like the area and beauty with Lake Tahoe. Now we'd like to try the northern Tahoe area and want to be in a village setting. That's why we picked Squaw Valley. Should we look elsewhere?

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Perth Australia
reviews: 12
1. Re: True Green Runs - Squaw Valley? (Olympic Park)

I just skied with my family (ages 9, 7, and 5) one day at Squaw (17 Jan 08). We just had to compare it to Kirkwood. The greens are easy alright, downright boring. As the slope is so gentle in spots you actually stop and have to walk. I can assure you I would rather not have to pull a 5 year old uphill just to get to the chairlift. We happily returned to Kirkwood which was just so awesome. They have lots of great (interesting terrain/lots of trees) green runs and the transition to blues is well laid out. I didn't like the 30-40 min drive to Heavenly Village so next time we will stay at Kirkwood. I would like to return to Squaw one day but not for green runs.

Florida
2. Re: True Green Runs - Squaw Valley? (Olympic Park)

Wow, thanks Tarobson. Did ou only ski the greens or did you get a chance to try a blue run or two or the night skiing?

We are confirmed at the Resort at Squaw Creek, so if we don't like it there, we'll just try some of the other mountains in the area. I heard good things about the Northstar at Tahoe and Alpine Meadow. I think they are fairly close to Squaw. I think Kirkwood is closer to Heavenly, isn't it?

Perth Australia
reviews: 12
3. Re: True Green Runs - Squaw Valley? (Olympic Park)

Unfortunately we were unable to try the blues but the husbands and my son skied down 3.5 miles to the parking lot at the end of the day and absolutely loved it. I was jealous as I was in the gondola going down with all the overtired kids and the boys actually beat us :(

yes, Kirkwood is closer to Heavenly and Sierra at Tahoe on the South shore.

Good luck.

4. Re: True Green Runs - Squaw Valley? (Olympic Park)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, September 19, 2009