We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day in Sonoma

Which Sonoma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
duluth mn
reviews: 10
1 Day in Sonoma

We are going to be in SF, flying in on Dec. 8. We want to spend Sat. Dec. 9 in Sonoma. We are interested in going to wineries that have beautiful surroundings/views as well as charming ambience. Good wine is important too, but as an artist, I am very tuned in to the aesthetics of the environment. Can anyone suggest a sample intinerary? How many wineries are possible to visit in a day? Where to eat lunch and dinner? Thanks so much--

Marian2

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
reviews: 69
1. Re: 1 Day in Sonoma

In the Sonoma Valley, some of my favorites things to do: Walking around the charming Sonoma Plaza for unique shops, great restaurants, historic sites, tasting rooms. Wineries that I love visiting that are a short driving distance from the Plaza are: scenic Bartholomew Park, fun Ravenswood, historic Buena Vista. In the Carneros region south of the town of Sonoma: Gloria Ferrer (sparkling wines) and Viansa (views and boutique market place). If you like modern art and design visit the Cornerstone Festival of Gardens almost directly across the hwy from Gloria Ferrer. It has unique, almost surreal design gardens. In the Glen Ellen area, be certain to visit the Jack London State Historical Park for beautiful scenery as well as the historic sites of London’s farm, cottage and ruins of his Wolf House.

Wineries that I really enjoy in the no. Sonoma Valley near Glen Ellen are: Benziger Family with its wonderful tours, Imagery (small winery with great views and a very unique art gallery), and B.R. Cohn (estate olive oil tasting as well as wines). Also just no. of Glen Ellen in the Kenwood area: Ledson (resembles a gothic castle), and Chateau St. Jean (fabulous gardens). Most visitors seem to find that visiting 4 or 5 wineries is comfortable, but taking the tours at only 1 or 2 and just doing tasting and browsing at the others.

There are innumerable great restaurants in the town of Sonoma and in the charming village of Glen Ellen. Be sure to do a search on the Forum for lots of recommendations and comments. Also search "itinerary" and "trip reports" as there are excellent suggestions already posted.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
reviews: 69
2. Re: 1 Day in Sonoma

As an artist, you might also enjoy a visit to: the Arts Guild of Sonoma (www.svma.org) at 140 E. Napa, which has a gallery with changing exhibits of local artists’ work, and the Sonoma Valley Museum of Art at 551 Broadway, which also offers very interesting and eclectic exhibits and activities. There's also La Haye Art Centre at 148 E. Napa Street, an artists' collective with open studios, but I haven't heard much about it recently, and hope that's it's still open to the public. Days/hrs were limited; mostly on wkends, I believe.

reviews: 714
3. Re: 1 Day in Sonoma

Forestvillian gave great advice on the wineries, you may also want to add Sebastiani and Gundlach-Bundschu to your list. I would suggest lunch at girl and the fig, it is right off the Sonoma Plaza.

For dinner, the General's Daughter is amazing. I would make reservations now for dinner there. Cafe La Haye and the Harmony Club @ the Ledson Hotel are also great choices for dinner in Sonoma. Cheers! :)

4. Re: 1 Day in Sonoma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, August 16, 2009