We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do with your dogs.

Which Solvang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burbank, California
reviews: 56
Things to do with your dogs.

We are planning to stay in Solvang in June for a little getaway. We are planning to take our 2 dogs with us. Are there any attractions or activities we can do with our dogs? They are experienced travelers as we often go to dog shows. And are great in public places. I have heard Solvang is a pretty dog friendly town, but does that include things we can do and places we can go with the dogs?

Lassen National...
reviews: 11
1. Re: Things to do with your dogs.

You probably already know of this website: dogfriendly.com/server/travel/uscities/guide…

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
reviews: 22
2. Re: Things to do with your dogs.

I really hope your vacation in Solvang includes a lot of time spent in nearby Santa Barbara, a gorgeous small city right on the beach. In Santa Barbara, there is a dog beach at Arroyo Burro Beach County Park, on Cliff Drive. One side is leash-free. There is a nice restaurant there too, with wonderful views, called Boathouse. Unfortunately dogs aren't allowed on the patio of the restaurant, but I've seen them tied up right at the entrance.

So. Cal
reviews: 18
3. Re: Things to do with your dogs.

For attractions or activities-

If you're interested in California history you can head to La Purisima Mission and stroll along there with them. Be prepared for dust and dirt though.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=598

Some of the wineries in the area are pet friendly.

You could head over to Lake Cachuma with them.

How far are you willing to drive? And what are your interests?

Burbank, California
4. Re: Things to do with your dogs.

Wow it's great to know that some of the wineries are pet friendly? we have been up that way to tour wineries in the past but always w/out the dogs. Do you happen to know a couple that are pet friendly? We are willing to drive. We live in Burbank and figured we'd spend 5 days in and around Solvang, Santa Barbara, Santa Ynez. But we have never stayed in solvang before or spent much time there except driving through touring wineries. This time we want to spend more time. My husband and I love wine, architecture, gardens, we love taking photos and just walking around looking at shops. Of course we love a good meal. We know we wont be able to take our dogs everywhere but we would like to do one activity with them that they would enjoy. we are thinking we will spend about 5 days in and around the area

So. Cal
reviews: 18
5. Re: Things to do with your dogs.

5 days - lucky you!

Off the top of my head for pet friendly wineries-

Lincourt

Zaca Mesa

Foxen

Some other wineries will allow dogs outside and others don't allow them on the property at all. If you do a 'pet friendly wineries' google search quite a few should pop up. However, we're always discovering pet friendly places that aren't mentioned in generic books. Or we'll go to a place that is listed and it closed a year ago.

Most tasting rooms at The Wine Ghetto urban trail in Lompoc allowed pooches inside. We just ask wherever we go- some say yes, some say no.

As you know, that area is rural, so for architectural interests- it will be the wineries, Santa Barbara or Solvang. :)

Have you been to the Botanical Gardens in SB? Pups are allowed there.

Have you been to Jalama Beach? The road to get there is quite scenic and the beach is extremely isolated with miles of undeveloped land except for the campground. I've heard the weather can be extreme though, but we lucked out. We had a delicious breakfast at the little general store there,(Jalama Beach Cafe) but their known for their burgers. The ingredients were so fresh. Who would think in a spot like that they'd have tasty food?!

As for photography- that would be everywhere! The Central Coast is such a beautiful place, isn't it?

I'm sure you'll discover many places! Have a wonderful trip RRCazador!

Burbank, California
6. Re: Things to do with your dogs.

Thanks for the info beachbum!!! I really appreciate everyone's help. Our hotel reservations are made and we are getting really excited especially knowing there are so many places that are at least tolerant of our dogs.

Lassen National...
reviews: 11
7. Re: Things to do with your dogs.

Did you see the wineries listed on the dogfriendly website?

Harbor City, CA.
8. Re: Things to do with your dogs.

I was wondering which hotel you and your furbabies are going to stay at. We are just getting a Rescue Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and of course the hotel we'd already booked "does not allow dogs". Too late, I'm bringing my new "baby" for my birthday trip and want him to be welcomed. Thanks for any advise.

charlie

9. Re: Things to do with your dogs.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, May 11, 2014