We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taste of Solvang Festival?

Which Solvang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
reviews: 9
Taste of Solvang Festival?

Hi,

In my research for our upcoming trip I have found that this festival is on during the dates of our visit.

Has anyone been to this before? and could you provide any insight into what to expect?

We are coming from San Simeon, spending some of the day at Pismo beach and then heading to Santa Barbara for the night.

I was wondering if this was another good stop on the way? and if it was big enough to be worth thinking about moving our hotel reservation to Solvang instead of Santa Barbara and then visiting there the next day.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Jill

4 replies to this topic
Palmdale, California
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 44
1. Re: Taste of Solvang Festival?

Hello Jill, and welcome to the Solvang forum.

We've been to Solvang many a time. . . one of our favorite places along the Central Coast! Never have attended this festival, however. If we ever did (and got rich), the Saturday smorgasbord would be the event we'd do. Sounds like an enjoyable event.

Here's the link for the 2012 Taste of Solvang Festival: solvangusa.com/explore-solvang/…

Solvang is worth at least a couple of hours generally speaking on your tour. The food and the ambience, and the architectural Danishness of the place makes it a standout. You could spend the whole day. . . or night. . . but in my estimation, Santa Barbara is worth even more time than this. I know some folks who visited and ended up staying there as residents! SB is addicting and a great place to visit on tour as well. It's a matter of preferences and individual taste. Your call to make.

Essex
2. Re: Taste of Solvang Festival?

Thank you - it is good to know we are in a win win situation whichever we decide!

What sort of things do you enjoy doing in Santa Barbara?

Would also still love to hear from anyone who has visited th festival.

Thanks

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
3. Re: Taste of Solvang Festival?

We happened to be passing through from San Luis Obispo to Santa Barbara during a Festival weekend. We didn't purchase any tickets for the shops or restaurants, just spent our usual hour break for some lunch if it's afternoon, or visit a bakery to buy some Danish items to take along, and continue on to SB if earlier.

No, I don't think you should change hotels.

At Buelton we take the #246 to Solvang, and then love the drive into SB from the #154 past Cachuma Lake. Great views of the city and ocean.

SB has so much more to offer. You'll want to go to Stern's Wharf (you can drive on it and park) Some good seafood restaurants to choose from. We like the Harbor Restaurant, or up top, Longboards Grill patio. Also at the end is SB Shellfish Co, very casual, picnic tables.

http://www.stearnswharf.org/index.php

Fun to walk on State Street, window shop, or dine. The City Hall is a pretty building, the whole town is very charming. A quick stop at the SB Mission for some photos is nice, it's known as Queen of the Missions, of the 21 in CA. Don't have to pay for a tour, many just walk around the grounds.

http://santabarbaramission.org/

Essex
4. Re: Taste of Solvang Festival?

Thanks. I think we will divert to Solvang and have a look at the festival but not buy tickets until we arrive and see about time. Then head on to Santa Barbara as planned.

Thank you both for the information - very helpful as always.

Reply to: Taste of Solvang Festival?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted