We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic scenery??

Which Solvang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 3
Romantic scenery??

Hello,

I will be in Solvang at the end of January, and i just wanted to find out some great local spots around the area within 30 minutes, that offer great views, and maybe a few romantic spots.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
1. Re: Romantic scenery??

If you like waterfalls (I find waterfalls to be VERY romantic), then a visit to Nojoqui Park is a must. There's a trail at the back of the park that leads up to a waterfall that you can actually get underneath!

A visit out to the nearby wine country is another option. You'll find beautiful vineyards around Los Olivos and along Foxen Canyon Road.

I'm not sure if it's within 30 minutes, but a drive up to Figueroa Mountain will undoubtedly give you stunning views across the Santa Ynez Valley.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
2. Re: Romantic scenery??

Another thing:

Solvang is very pretty at night. I'm sure you'll find it very romantic for evening strolls while window shopping or walking back to your inn after a nice meal in town.

reviews: 708
3. Re: Romantic scenery??

I agree with the previous poster on the Los Olivos area, wine tasting is fun, we like Gainey and Arthur Earl in this area. Some very nice Syrah's are produced in this area. Have a meal at the Los Olivos Cafe, very good food here and a friendly staff. If you get a chance to visit nearby Santa Barbara, take the drive up to the Upham Hotel, the views are beautiful here of the town and ocean in the background. This would make a very nice photo op. Stearn's Wharf in SB would also be a very nice place for some great photography. Enjoy your trip! :)

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
4. Re: Romantic scenery??

We just came back this weekend from Santa Barbara. State Street is in the center of town with all the shops and restaurants. Have a romantic lunch outside on the patio of Petit Valentien.

Be sure and take a drive to visit the Santa Barbara Mission, just off State Street on Los Olivios. Lovely area to stroll along the fountain, gardens and Mission. Just up the hillside less than a mile on Lasuen Road, is the El Encanto Hotel area, with georgous views.

Enjoy your trip.

Santa Ynez...
reviews: 2
5. Re: Romantic scenery??

If you are going to Los Olivos, I would eat at Matteis or Cafe Chardonnay in Ballard before I would go to Los Olivos Cafe.

LO Cafe used to be a great restaurant but I feel it has really fallen off recently. Ditto The Hitching Post in Buellton.

In Santa Ynez, Trattorio Grappolo has the best Italian food and great service.

As far as nice spots, go out to Rusack Vineyards and have a glass of wine on their beautiful patio. Or go to the El Rancho market in Santa Ynez and pick up a nice gourmet lunch then head to Sunstone Vineyard on Refugio in Santa Ynez.

All the hotels can give you directions.

Santa Barbara...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Romantic scenery??

If you're looking for mountain and ocean vistas consider. . .

the Armour Ranch Rd - Happy Canyon Rd - Figueroa Mtn Rd loop. (This also goes by the gate of the former Michael Jackson property. All you see is the gate, so really it is not a big deal.)

East Camino Cielo Rd will give you excellent views of the ocean, the SY Valley, and the San Rafael Mtns all in one swoop. You can also do the short hike to Knapp's Castle Ruins.

There are many hikes in Santa Barbara County. The easiest to find is the one at the end of Paradise Rd that heads out to Red Rock and beyond. You may need water shoes.

Nojoqui Falls is a great suggestion. From Solvang take Alisal Rd for a peaceful drive.

Santa Barbara...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Romantic scenery??

...forgot to mention that with the lack of rainfall that Nojoqui Falls is likely to be a trickle if it is flowing at all.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
8. Re: Romantic scenery??

"...forgot to mention that with the lack of rainfall that Nojoqui Falls is likely to be a trickle if it is flowing at all."

Ain't it a shame?

Where oh where is our rain?

9. Re: Romantic scenery??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, September 12, 2009