We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redding to Palm Springs on hwy 99

Which Selma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
REDDING
reviews: 2
Redding to Palm Springs on hwy 99

We're tired of boring I-5 so are thinking of taking hwy 99 to Palm Springs next week. Where should we stop ?? We like to stay in hotels that offer breakfasts for under $100. Selma? Dinuba? Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Lassen National...
reviews: 11
1. Re: Redding to Palm Springs on hwy 99

United has round trip flights from Chico, CA to Palm Springs for 280.00/person. They were 460.00 out of Redding. Switching dates might change one or both rates.

REDDING
2. Re: Redding to Palm Springs on hwy 99

thanks for the info - however, we're going to be in Palm Springs for 6 weeks and need a car. good to know that there are good fares from Chico! I'll consider checking when we want to fly next.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
3. Re: Redding to Palm Springs on hwy 99

I hate 99 so I would stick to I-5. Or, go over to 395 and take it south. That would be the most scenic route. Just watch out for storms.

Near Yosemite...
reviews: 6
4. Re: Redding to Palm Springs on hwy 99

I think Selma would be a good stop. Selma is a nice town and I believe there is a Best Western right off the highway. Sorry- I have never stayed in Selma. Very close to Selma is the town of Kingsburg. It is an unusual town with a "Swedish" flair. There are places to stay in this town also.

I am with you. I think I-5 is boring.

Edited: 11:02 pm, December 27, 2011
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 42
5. Re: Redding to Palm Springs on hwy 99

I think 99 is really best south of Stockton. Been awhile since we were on that stretch of I-5 but it was dominated by trucks. US-99 was not, felt we could drive not just hold on in traffic, plus it passes through more interesting area and is 4 lane freeway type,

But 99 from Red Bluff to Sacto versus I-5, think I would pick I-5 unless you are willing to piddle along some.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 42
6. Re: Redding to Palm Springs on hwy 99

Plus you can cut over from Bakersfield and catch 395 to San Berdo, missing most of LA

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
7. Re: Redding to Palm Springs on hwy 99

Nothing wrong with Hwy 99 - it's all freeway south of Sacramento. Much less boring than I-5 I think.

It's been a gazillion years (give or take a few) since I've been in Kingsburg but I remember the water tower and the town looking sort of like Solvang :-)

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
8. Re: Redding to Palm Springs on hwy 99

Just remember its still 5 hours from Selma to PS. There are a number of hotels right off the freeway. Holiday Inn Swan Court seems nice and gets good reviews. It used to be a Pea Soup Andersons when it was built.

Reply to: Redding to Palm Springs on hwy 99
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Selma