We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ruby's on the Seal Beach Pier to close on January 10th, 2013

Which Seal Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
Ruby's on the Seal Beach Pier to close on January 10th, 2013

The Ruby's Diner Chain failed to come to an agreement to renew their lease with the city, and will serve it's last meal on Thursday, January 10th.

…patch.com/articles/rubys-diner-to-close-an-…

Note, this is the ONLY location that is closing in the chain. In fact, Ruby's is starting a new quick-service format designed for malls in Orange and San Diego Counties.

4 replies to this topic
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 144
1. Re: Ruby's on the Seal Beach Pier to close on January 10th, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this. While I appreciate Ruby's and visitors enjoy their locations at the Huntington Beach and Newport Beach Piers and other locations, I have fond memories of the independent cafes with more unique charm that used to be in those locations. The cities were offered more money by Ruby's so suddenly there were no more independents on the Piers. Then Ruby's probably tried to exercise their might by squeezing the cities for BETTER lease deals because there was no one else out there left to take those spaces.

I hope Seal Beach will see this as an opportunity to bring in a new cafe with character and local charm.

Newport Beach, CA
reviews: 23
2. Re: Ruby's on the Seal Beach Pier to close on January 10th, 2013

I have mixed emotions about this. Ruby's has been a part of the community for a long time. Fankly, I find their food generally unappealing. (There's a reason 50's dinners went out of business). So maybe this is just the survival of the fittest. People will eat where they like the food and considerate it a value for the price. Personally, I never felt that way about Ruby's. (shrug)

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
3. Re: Ruby's on the Seal Beach Pier to close on January 10th, 2013

Well, it likes Ruby's might return to the Seal Beach Pier. From today's OC Register.

ocregister.com/articles/ruby-497369-beach-pi…

Due date for proposals to operate the operation is now April 12th, so it will be awhile before we know who wins the right to operate the location.

Seal Beach...
reviews: 11
4. Re: Ruby's on the Seal Beach Pier to close on January 10th, 2013

I'm moving to Seal Beach soon, and the gate across the end of the pier this week is so ugly and uninviting. Sure hope something moves in there!

Reply to: Ruby's on the Seal Beach Pier to close on January 10th, 2013
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted