We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time

Which Seal Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
first time

My husband and I may be going to seal beach for a family event in October. I am a Caribbean brat and I have never been to the Pacific cost side of the country. We both enjoy diving. My question is, is there any diving near seal beach?

5 replies to this topic
San Diego...
reviews: 13
1. Re: first time

There is some good diving south in the Laguna Beach area. There is also some really good diving out in Catalina Island (25 miles off the cost of california).

Keep the following in mind:

1) The water is cold! October expect to see the water in the low 60s.

2) The reefs are rock not coral and fish are generally not brightly colored (one huge exception is the Garibaldi our state fish). It is bright orange!

3) Kelp beds = good diving

2. Re: first time

Thank you. That was very helpful... I had no idea weather in California was that cold. I was really hoping for beach weather. :(

Los Angeles...
reviews: 20
3. Re: first time

The coast along here is nothing like the Cariibbean beaches. When I first got to a Caribbean island in my twenties (Jamaica), I was shocked! I never knew ocean water could be so warm and clear.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 22
4. Re: first time

I would suggest going out to Catalina Island for the day. People travel from all over the world to dive in our kelp forests. It is definitely not a coral reef dive like what you are used to, but it is still incredible to see. The town of Avalon (on Catalina) is also a great place to walk around and enjoy.

As for our beaches, you can certainly expect the water to be cold. Hopefully you will luck out and get some nice temperatures for the air, but keep in mind that California beaches have just as much beauty as Caribbean beaches, just a little bit different. Grab a sweatshirt and head to the beach to watch the surfers, explore the tide pools, or even just watch the waves.

Newport Beach, CA
reviews: 23
5. Re: first time

The Kelp diving off of Catalina Island would, indeed, be something to see.

However, if you don't have the time to make that trip you may want to consider Crystal Cove State Park in Newport Beach, about a 30 minute drive south of Seal Beach. CC includes an 1100 acre underwater marine park. The park site lists some kelp forests off shore. (I think that there is a shipwreck there at about 80', but I can't confirm it right now. If I find it I'll let you know.) I think October is part of lobster season in Southern California so, with a California Fishing License, you could even pick up dinner on your dive. :-)

If you don't want to catch your own dinner, there is a nice restaurant right on the beach. If you spend $15.00 or more, the restaurant will validate your parking fee ($15.00) which is a pretty good trade out IMO.

It might be a little early but you may see some whales heading south to Mexico, as well.

For an underwater map of the area, go here: crystalcovestatepark.com/underwaterparkmap.h…

For the restaurant: www.thebeachcombercafe.com

Reply to: first time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted