We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sausalito and Tiburon

Which Sausalito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cornwall, United...
reviews: 64
Sausalito and Tiburon

My husband and I stayed in Sausalito for 5 nights 3 years ago (thanks to advice from TA forum). We loved it, we loved the laid back atmosphere and the easy access into San Francisco.

We are returning to the area in October, our flights are booked and this time we intend to hire a car and stay for 11 days, this way we can do more traveling around the areas.

However, we have been on VRBO and looked at properties to rent and both Sausalito and Tiburon look great.

We didnt visit Tiburon last time, whats it like, does it have the same laid back feel?

Is the town of similar size to Sausalito?

If you had to choose between the two what would be your favorite and why?

Thanks,

Jane

Northern California
reviews: 10
1. Re: Sausalito and Tiburon

In my opinion:

Tiburon is much smaller. More like a small village than a town. Fewer restaurants, shopping, hotels, etc. I like them both, but if I want something quieter, I choose Tiburon. Very laid back.

But, if you want more services/shopping/restaurants, Sausalito may be the better choice. The Ferry services may be different between the two as well (frequency and drop off points).

Sausalito, CA
2. Re: Sausalito and Tiburon

The answer above is very accurate. We've lived in both towns.

The ferry service is less frequent from San Francisco to Tiburon and back.

Tiburon is charming and beautiful, but it has less variety and is smaller than Sausalito. Downtown Tiburon really has only about three blocks worth of fun retail spots to wander through.

Sausalito has far far more art galleries in the retail mix. The town is definitely quieter and slower-paced than Sausalito.

They both are in expensive areas right next to San Francisco Bay, with great views of the City.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 69
3. Re: Sausalito and Tiburon

Three points:

1. In terms of total population, Tiburon is larger. If you are looking at the business district only, then yes, Sausalito is bigger.

2. If you consider renting in Tiburon rather than Sausalito, be careful not to end up in an apartment or complex on the west side of town. The area isn't bad, it's just somewhat isolated and not the Tiburon we all think of when we think of Tiburon!

3. If you rent in Sausalito, be careful to rent in Sausalito itself rather than in Marin City, which is near Sausalito. Quite a bit of difference! While Marin City is not part of Sausalito, it is not unheard of for home or condo owners to claim they live in Sausalito. (They share a school district, but that is all!)

Final note: The ferry to Tiburon runs roughly as often as the ferry to Sausalito during the week, but not so much on the weekends. The ferry to Tiburon is significantly more expensive, as Blue & Gold Fleet is privately operated and Golden Gate Ferry is a public agency subsidized by the Golden Gate Bridge tolls. However, there is a ferry from Tiburon to Angel Island, which is very handy! You should certainly consider a visit to Angel Island if you haven't already been.

Sausalito, CA
4. Re: Sausalito and Tiburon

Those are really good points. And I have seen the "liberal" definition of a place being "in Sausalito" before, just as you say! Good to check Google Maps to make sure.

That's also a good way to check out the locations you might rent in Tiburon, because the comment above about location is valuable.

If you want to enjoy the quaint harbor area where the ferries land, the rental property should be fairly close to the ferry on the map. If it's far to the north off of Paradise Drive it is not at all the same feel as being in Tiburon. If it's north and west by a couple of miles it's a better area, but still requires you to drive to get to Tiburon itself.

In general, the views are best if the closest artery to a place is Tiburon Blvd. If it's Paradise Drive anywhere other than right near the Ferry, you're looking east and not towards San Francisco or Sausalito.

5. Re: Sausalito and Tiburon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:23 am, October 14, 2009