We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are the nice neighborhoods in Santa Rosa, CA?

Which Santa Rosa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northville, Michigan
reviews: 1
Where are the nice neighborhoods in Santa Rosa, CA?

My husband and I are going to the northern Bay area in a week and a half. We are considering Santa Rosa for retirement someday. Does anyone know which neighborhoods are nice in Santa Rosa? The outskirts of Santa Rosa would be o.k. also. We know that the housing in Santa Rosa is less expensive, but were hoping that it would also be nice. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks,

Sandi

Berkeley, Ca.
reviews: 72
1. Re: Where are the nice neighborhoods in Santa Rosa, CA?

Tripadvisor is a travel website, which pretty rigorously enforces a rule about not being for questions about long term residence. So for Tripadvisor purposes, the question you're asking is what are the nice neighborhoods of Santa Rosa to stay in, maybe have a vacation rental in.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 68
2. Re: Where are the nice neighborhoods in Santa Rosa, CA?

wanderer ~ the guidelines for TripAdvisor *do* allow some relocation related questions.

------------

"A discussion providing short-term relocation advice is acceptable provided it remains relevant to travelers moving or looking to move to that destination. Orientation to neighborhoods, travel logistics, visa requirements, or even post-arrival "thanks, everyone" updates are welcome, whereas asking for help finding roommates, buying/selling furniture or ongoing personal updates are not considered travel-related." tripadvisor.com/help/what_are_the_guidelines…

----------

Hopefully no one marks the post as inappropriate; it doesn't appear to violate the guidelines.

Sandi ~ I don't have any specific suggestions, but I'm sure that a real estate agent would be happy to show you around. I hope you have fun visiting some great neighborhoods.

united states
reviews: 26
3. Re: Where are the nice neighborhoods in Santa Rosa, CA?

It might be helpful for you to check out the online version of the Press Democrat- its the local newspaper.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
4. Re: Where are the nice neighborhoods in Santa Rosa, CA?

I was in Santa Rosa last August and really liked the town very much. I have an aunt that lives off Highway 12 and St Francis Rd. and it is a lovely neighborhood. Most of what I saw of Santa Rosa looked pretty nice to me. I even entertained the idea of moving there, myself. Lots of new development from what I saw as I drove through town.

Edited: 1:37 am, May 11, 2011
Northville, Michigan
reviews: 1
5. Re: Where are the nice neighborhoods in Santa Rosa, CA?

Thanks, I do appreciate the feedback. We are on vacation there next week and staying in hotels, so we would like to look around Santa Rosa. We will check out that neighborhood.

Thanks again.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 1,700
6. Re: Where are the nice neighborhoods in Santa Rosa, CA?

Also, while visiting, check out nearby Windsor as well. Its just north of Santa Rosa....

http://www.ci.windsor.ca.us/

This article gives a short description of each of the neighborhoods in Santa Rosa

…about.com/od/…Neighborhoods.htm

Enjoy your trip and neighborhood looking.

California
reviews: 61
7. Re: Where are the nice neighborhoods in Santa Rosa, CA?

I used to live in Santa Rosa. I really liked it and the surrounding areas. There are lots of nice areas in town (St. Francis is one of them) and many nice areas outside of Santa Rosa. It really depends on what you're looking for and your budget. It also depends on how risk averse you are to living around fault lines.

Weather is extremely nice in spring, summer, and fall. It rains A LOT in the winter - but, unlike snow, you don't have to shovel it.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 42
8. Re: Where are the nice neighborhoods in Santa Rosa, CA?

I'm not that familiar with the city of Santa Rosa, but there are more rural areas around it that you might want also to look at. Sebastopol is nearby and is a nice quiet town. Petaluma is not rural, but a smaller town near Santa Rosa.

The Tomales Bay area is just to the west, with access to the coast. The "Bay" is actually part of the San Andreas fault zone that jaimexplorer alluded to. It's where the two continental plates separate. Santa Rosa had some of the worst damage outside San Francisco in the 1906 earthquake. Bodega Bay to the north is where the Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Birds" was made.

Berkeley, Ca.
reviews: 72
9. Re: Where are the nice neighborhoods in Santa Rosa, CA?

One choice within Santa Rosa is new neighborhoods, old neighborhoods, and old-style neighborhoods. Much of Santa Rosa is pretty new, the city has grown a lot in the last 40 years. There are some nice neighborhoods of early 20th Century homes around the downtown. There are also some old style but new neighborhoods like the one a cousin lived in a couple of miles west of downtown near Sebastopol Highway (I wish I could remember the name/1),

Healdsburg, CA
reviews: 16
10. Re: Where are the nice neighborhoods in Santa Rosa, CA?

In Santa Rosa, some neighborhoods to avoid would be South Park, Applevalley and Roseland (which is of course where you will find the cheapest housing, trust me I just bought a house in Santa Rosa!). Rincoln Valley, Fountaingrove, MacDonald historic District and Bennett Valley are some nice neighborhoods.