We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burgers & Shakes and bargain shopping with a baby in LA

Which Santa Monica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 4
Burgers & Shakes and bargain shopping with a baby in LA

I am travelling with my husband and 10 month old in September to LA for three days. We are in our early to mid 30s, are into alternative/grunge music and love to eat at great cafes - ones that are hip but not overly expensive, trendy but welcoming (we will likely need to fit a foldable pram or need a high chair) and serve great, yummy food. We love wholesome veggie based meals, but also LOVE burgers and shakes and would love to taste our way around LA. .......We love the scene in Pulp Fiction 'Jack Rabbit Slim's' and I would love to know if there is a place that has that kind of American Diner vibe in LA?

We will be staying in Hollywood and will not have a car. We will be relying on trains, buses or hop on/hop off buses to get around.

We are also looking at using at least one of the days to shop (maybe at The Grove? - is there a better mall or outdoor shopping strip?) but would prefer to find some bargains. Any ideas?

What is the best way to find out if there are any bands playing in LA in early Sept?

We will be heading to NYC, Boston and San Fran before heading home to Melbourne so any tips for these places would be a great help too :)

Edited: 6:24 am, July 14, 2013
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
1. Re: Burgers & Shakes and bargain shopping with a baby in LA

The nearest Outlet Mall to Hollywood is the Citadel Outlets in the city of Los Angeles, located at the south end of the city.

www.ctadeloutlets.com

You can use the LA metro system to get there. www.metro.net

As for Hamburgers, In-n-Out and Tommy's are two chains that started locally.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 24
2. Re: Burgers & Shakes and bargain shopping with a baby in LA

For bands, go to www.laweekly.com. But no babies in the clubs, sorry

For burgers and shakes, there are so many places all over LA!! In Santa Monica, try Umami on 5th and broadway. Without a car, getting to Santa Monica will be a long journey involving several hoho buses, but you'll find lots of options for burgers

Santa Clara...
reviews: 17
3. Re: Burgers & Shakes and bargain shopping with a baby in LA

Los Feliz/Sunset Junction has the hip and cool vibe you are looking for. Melrose Ave also is a great place to stroll and shop and eat. These areas have unique shops and plenty of eats that are family friendly, to the point of being tragically hip some may say.

Are you looking to shop for specific things? The Grove is nice for strolling but not cheap and doesn't have a good of a selection as other bigger malls. Santa Monica has Third St Promenade and Santa Monica Place with plenty of high and low pride points.

LA Weekly has entertainment lisitngs http://www.laweekly.com/

Santa Clara...
4. Re: Burgers & Shakes and bargain shopping with a baby in LA

I haven't eaten at the Sunset location, but I LOVE the burgers at The Counter. thecounterburger.com/LosAngelesCA_SunsetBlvd/

You can never go wrong at In N Out. Google the secret menu. Fatburger is my husband's favorite. Highly customizable but not as expensive as The Counter. 5 Guys started on the East Coast and is trying to compete out west. I haven't formed a solid opinion yet.

Edited: 11:02 am, July 14, 2013
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
5. Re: Burgers & Shakes and bargain shopping with a baby in LA

And I forgot Fatburger, another long time chain that started in the LA area. I love the option of adding a fried egg on it.

Santa Clara...
6. Re: Burgers & Shakes and bargain shopping with a baby in LA

DB... and that is why the hubs loves Fats!

Edited: 11:04 am, July 14, 2013
Burleigh Heads...
reviews: 43
7. Re: Burgers & Shakes and bargain shopping with a baby in LA

If you go to Citidel outlets you will find heaps of bargains. We were there in May and had to purchase extra luggage. They are opening a Disney store there soon as well. Don't know if it will be opened when you arrive but there are heaps of well named stores there. I purchased a Juicy handbag for $88 AUD Coach handbag $102 AUD Ralph Loren wallet $14AUD are just a couple of bargains.

8. Re: Burgers & Shakes and bargain shopping with a baby in LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 18, 2014