We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our ongoing California Adventure hits Santa Monica..

Which Santa Monica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
517 posts
9 reviews
Our ongoing California Adventure hits Santa Monica..

DAY 13: We departed Santa Barbara around midday for Santa Monica. It was a pretty uneventful trip with only a few traffic delays along the way....

Our apartment is on Ocean Blvd with a lovely view and it is soooo nice to have 2 bedrooms, kitchen and lounge area. I am especially thrilled to have a washing machine and dryer!!! After living in hotels for the last couples of weeks it is great to have some space!!!!

My daughter and I hit the shops to find a camera charger, which thankfully we found, but we didn't have time to take in any of the surrounding shops (they will have to wait). We walked home along the beachfront and then madly got ready to hit the Staples Center. We saw Justin Bieber in concert and my 15 year old daughter spent most of the time either screaming, crying or singing...My 11 year old son also loves Justin and enjoyed his very first concert and all the hype that went along with it. I think it was around 12.30am when we arrived home and my ears are still ringing....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
517 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Our ongoing California Adventure hits Santa Monica..

DAY 14: We had a late morning after our 'big night' and headed into Third Street Promenade around 10.00am for some Starbucks and a little shop. My son thought it was great that he went for a frapacchino and ended up with a pair of Supras too....

We finally got our act together and drove to Universal Studios arriving at 2pm. It was a fantastic day and beautiful weather. The shows were awesome and we stayed until the park closed!!!!

We stopped off at Johnny Rockets for dinner on Third Street Promenade - quick service and good food. I think my husband would have loved a beer though..

I am really looking forward to a low key day tomorrow..😃

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
517 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Our ongoing California Adventure hits Santa Monica..

DAY 15: We left our apartment just before 11 am this morning and drove to Third Street Promenade. We went to Cafe Crepe for brunch....a few too many calories were consumed here!!!! We then had a little shop before the boys were over it and went back to the apartment whilst the girls remained for a shop for the next 5 hours....The boys spent time swimming at the beach even though they could hardly see because of the 'June gloom' that was exceptionally bad today (the worst I've seen anyway!!!)

When we returned we went for a walk over to the wharf and checked out the what it had on offer. Hopefully it will be a bit clearer tomorrow afternoon and we can spend some more time there....

We decided on True Food Kitchen for dinner, but it was very busy and we had a wait time and so we went up to the top level at Santa Monica Place and had pasta and pizza at a nice place - the name has escaped me at the moment however!!!!

I am happy to be writing this post at 10 pm and so hopefully I can finally be in bed by 10.30pm - that's the plan anyway!!!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
16,370 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Our ongoing California Adventure hits Santa Monica..

Yes, we did have June Gloom today along the coast, sorry it wasn't better at the beach. Should be hotter this weekend if you are still here.

Been following your reports, glad you are having a great time.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
22,721 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Our ongoing California Adventure hits Santa Monica..

Thank you for sharing your trip!

I highly recommend walking over to Main Street and having breakfast or lunch there, if not dinner. Also check out Montana Avenue so you can feel what's it like to be a local, not a tourist - have a meal with locals at any of the cafes there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
517 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Our ongoing California Adventure hits Santa Monica..

What cafe do you recommend in Main Street?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,721 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Our ongoing California Adventure hits Santa Monica..

M Street or Omelet Parlour if asking about breakfast.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
517 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Our ongoing California Adventure hits Santa Monica..

Thanks, we ended up at Urth Cafe and all loved our meals!! We might try one of the others tomorrow....

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,721 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Our ongoing California Adventure hits Santa Monica..

I highly recommend driving over to Montana avenue and having breakfast at blue plate with locals.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
517 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Our ongoing California Adventure hits Santa Monica..

We might do that tomorrow @yogachik!!!!

Is the M Street Kitchen good for dinner, as we are right around the corner from it and so nice and easy?

If not, happy for any other recommendation because I am all out of ideas....

Many thanks...

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,721 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: Our ongoing California Adventure hits Santa Monica..

M Kitchen is good for dinner, Stella Barra next door is better - although you had pizza last night, so maybe not again tonight. The Galley is a fun steakhouse just down the street that everyone might love. Tar and Roses is amazing, but probably too foodie for the kids. Chaya Venice is more of a walk, but always fantastic, and the happy hour goes all night (and you'll see kids there), great food from the same kitchen as the main restaurant. Library Alehouse is always good, too - perfect if you just want burgers and salads.

another idea is to walk to Casa del Mar's lobby and have dinner there and enjoy the gorgeous views of the beach and pier. Fantastic menu and food in their lobby/bar. Shutters has a beach level restaurant that's another great spot.

Edited: 8:57 pm, June 28, 2013