We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days in Santa Monica...worth going to Malibu?

Which Santa Monica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hackettstown, New...
reviews: 7
Two days in Santa Monica...worth going to Malibu?

Hey we have a six day trip planned...the first four in Hollywood/Beverly Hills and the last two in Santa Monica. Just my girlfriend and me, no kids. Never been to Malibu is it worth the drive from Santa Monica. Not sure if there is anything special to do there we won't be able to do in Santa Monica. Thanks!

Manhattan Beach...
reviews: 46
1. Re: Two days in Santa Monica...worth going to Malibu?

Malibu Creek State Park is nice to walk through, and the road that it's on, Las Virgines is one of those drives that belongs in a car commercial. Aside from those sights I find Malibu somewhat inaccessible and not a place that I would send tourists.

Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 50
2. Re: Two days in Santa Monica...worth going to Malibu?

Well, Malibu is a different kind of city than Santa Monica. The latter is a typical seaside city with high-rise apartments, major shopping, buses 'to everywhere', etc. Malibu is a long, narrow city straddling the Pacific Coast Highway (aka PCH). The typical height of buildings in Malibu is 1 or 2 stories and the lion's share of residential are private homes. The city is very rustic in nature -- the part to the north of PCH (or 'inland') consists of homes in the canyons; the homes to the south of PCH are on the ocean or close to it. PCH is a curvy and hilly (up and down) route with attractions that are somewhat spread apart. There are stretches of beach followed by stretches of undeveloped (forested) land.

The ocean in the two cities is the same but the FEEL of the two cities is different. Is it worth driving into Malibu? It's hard to say. In some respects, there's a relaxed (yet affluent) feel to it. My visits to the Reel Inn are treasured not only because the fresh fish is delicious but because the large patio is so relaxing -- a little oasis 'away from the city' -- the sun, the beer, the beautiful women. But, I digress...

Edited: 10:37 pm, June 24, 2013
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
3. Re: Two days in Santa Monica...worth going to Malibu?

I love going to Malibu for lunch in the Country Mart (can go high end at Tra di Noi's patio, or just grab a hot dog at Mutt's or a sandwich at famous John's Garden and sit at picnic tables). It's an opportunity to live among the locals and soak it all up, everyone I take there when visiting says it's the highlight of their trip.

Manhattan Beach...
reviews: 46
4. Re: Two days in Santa Monica...worth going to Malibu?

Motorcyclists like to go through Malibu on the weekends, because it's a nice place to ride. There are expensive homes in the area, but they are largely out of view. Malibu Creek State Park is interesting because it is scenic and movies and TV shows have been filmed there including MASH and Planet of the Apes.

edmonton
reviews: 45
5. Re: Two days in Santa Monica...worth going to Malibu?

not in my opinion

Hackettstown, New...
6. Re: Two days in Santa Monica...worth going to Malibu?

Thanks guys I guess we will skip it.

New York
7. Re: Two days in Santa Monica...worth going to Malibu?

Yes if you're in SM it's only a few minutes up pch and very scenic...eat dinner at the Chart House you're right on the beach...trust me I'm from the east coast also. also Venice for a cool SoCal beach scene.

Edited: 12:50 am, July 01, 2013
8. Re: Two days in Santa Monica...worth going to Malibu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 03, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Santa Monica