We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far does the bike path go?

Which Santa Monica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Roseville...
reviews: 33
How far does the bike path go?

I am staying at a hotel near the beach in Santa Monica in June and am bringing my bike. If I get on the bike path at the beach in Santa Monica, how far south does it go? I was in Long Beach a couple years ago and noticed a bike path going by along the ocean. Does this bike path connect with the one in Santa Monica? Does all of S. Cal have connecting bike paths along the beach? I am just trying to estimate how far I can go and back in a day. Thanks.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 14
1. Re: How far does the bike path go?

It ends at Marina Del Rey. It can be picked up again after the MDR harbor at Playa Del Rey and ridden down to Redondo Beach.

Dr. Z

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 24
2. Re: How far does the bike path go?

It goes from Temescal Camyon to Redondo Beach. Click here:

labikepaths.com/bike-paths/…

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 58
3. Re: How far does the bike path go?

No, you can't bike it all the way to Long Beach, you'd really have to detour around (or through, but its hilly) the Palos Verdes Peninsula and San Pedro. A very long ride from Santa Monica. All the beaches generally have bike paths, but the coast is not exactly one long stretch of continuous, sandy beach. Marina Del Rey interupts it, and then Palos Verdes is rocky cliffs, not beaches.

Iowa
reviews: 2
4. Re: How far does the bike path go?

Can you give some information on approximate times it takes to bike from Santa Monica to Marina Del Ray?

Thank you!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
5. Re: How far does the bike path go?

How quickly do you pedal? What kind of bike - a beach cruiser or a proper bike? The quick answer would be about 30 minutes or so, but there are many variables (fitness level, wind, etc)

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
reviews: 22
6. Re: How far does the bike path go?

I'd recommend the route from the northernmost spot (Temescal, in Pacific Palisades) to Venice Blvd. This section is entirely a bike path on the sand, separated from the road. At Venice Blvd, the path runs along streets, as a bike lane adjacent to vehicle traffic. So unless you plan to continue after MDR, and do the South Bay section to Redondo or Manhattan Beach, I'd stop at Venice Blvd unless you really want to visit the Marina Del Rey.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 58
7. Re: How far does the bike path go?

Its about 4 miles as the crow flies along the beach from the Santa Monica Pier to where the proper part of the bike path ends at the channel that runs between the Marina and the ocean, but the bike path twists and turns a bit so the actual length of the ride is probably more like 5 miles to get that far. And then you'd have to bike a bit further (probably about 1/2 mile) to get to where the boats are.

Iowa
reviews: 2
8. Re: How far does the bike path go?

Thank you for your help! Renting the bicycles so not sure what we'll end up with. We wanted to go to MDR to rent jet skiis. THe mileage info was helpful Mach Three!!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
9. Re: How far does the bike path go?

This is a nice video of the portion of the ride from Marina del Rey through Venice Beach. It's a nice flat ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5pdFHMHhDM

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
10. Re: How far does the bike path go?

Heading from South to North is more difficult because you're usually against the wind, fyi.