We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family accommodation

Which Santa Monica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Family accommodation

we are a family of 5 traveling from Australia. We are 2 adults and 3 children (14, 12 & 10) and need a few nights for our base in LA. Would people recommend the Ocean View or the Sea View? We don't need fancy, must be safe and clean and an easy walk to beach and restaurants. Reviews for both motels are very similar on trip advisor.Thank you. Oh we will have a hire car.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
1. Re: Family accommodation

Both are fine, and well located.

Melbourne, Australia
2. Re: Family accommodation

thankyou, I have noticed the ocean view has air con and the seaview doesn't. The oceanview is $100 a night more expensive. I think we will book seaview!!! I am sure ceiling fans will be fine.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
3. Re: Family accommodation

Yes, most of us living at the beach do not ahve a/c in our homes. A ceiling fan will work well or just open your window for a breeze if it gets too hot.

Melbourne, Australia
4. Re: Family accommodation

thankyou, I will book..... we have never been to the US... are there plenty of places to eat nearby?? Sports shops?? my children are looking forward to the bigger range of sports gear in the US - compared to Australia

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
5. Re: Family accommodation

Almost no one who lives anywhere near Santa Monica has air conditioning, and if they do, they almost never use it. The ocean air keeps temperatures from getting too hot, even in the summer.

There's plenty of restaurants near both hotels - Ocean View has a bit better selection of mid-range and inexpensive restaurants a little closer to it than Sea View. Most of these restaurants are along the 3rd St. Promenade (3rd St. from Broadway to Wilshire Blvd) or along the parallel stretches of 2nd and 4th streets. Ocean View is a bit closer to that but its walkable from both.

6. Re: Family accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:02 pm, January 08, 2013
pasadena, ca
reviews: 22
7. Re: Family accommodation

The Embassy Hotel Apartments on 3rd Street in Santa Monica is a lovely old building in a great location-- about 2 blocks from the promenade, and quite near the beach.

I haven't been inside, but it is a pretty, well-maintained old building and you can't beat the location. They have 2 bedroom suites.

http://www.embassyhotelapts.com/

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 51
8. Re: Family accommodation

Note: the Ocean View has 2 double beds in their rooms (smaller than queen size) so if you or your spouse are larger/taller than normal, this might be a tight squeeze. They state that rollaway beds (cots) are available but there might be an extra charge for these and you might not be able to fit more than one of these in the room.

The sea view won't accept reservations for groups of more than 4 persons and there is no mention of rollaway beds. They, too, offer 'full size' beds (which are smaller than queen size) so the likelihood of fitting 3 people in one of these beds is very low. And, if they are not permitted to accommodate more than 4 to a room, you'll have a problem when you arrive.

9. Re: Family accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:01 pm, January 09, 2013
Edited: 12:01 pm, January 09, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
10. Re: Family accommodation

Thanks Hop Skip Jump, I e-mailed Seaview Hotel and they will accomodate the 5 of us with a rollaway at additional cost of $25 per night.....still cheaper than Ocean view. Do you think that would be okay??