We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampton Inn Santa Cruz or Mission Inn?

Which Santa Cruz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
washington, d.c.
Hampton Inn Santa Cruz or Mission Inn?

Hello:

I will be in Santa Cruz for just one night in August. I have a reservation (for myself and my teenage and adult daughters) at the Hampton Inn (1505 Ocean Street). However, I am also considering the Mission Inn (2250 Mission St.), which is less expensive and looks to be about the same quality, We will be there just overnight, driving down from SFO at the beginning of a week long road trip down the coast a bit, then to Yosemite and back to SF.

We will be in Santa Cruz for such a short time, but hope to go to Natural Bridge and perhaps the Boardwalk. I know that the hotels are not within walking distance of either, but close by.

Does anyone have a particular recommendation between the two hotels? The reviews on Trip Advisor are fairly similar; however, there were some less flattering descriptions of the location for the Hampton.

Thank you so much for any advice!

Hefei98

Chevy Chase, MD

Santa Cruz, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 7
1. Re: Hampton Inn Santa Cruz or Mission Inn?

You are correct. The Mission Inn and the Hampton Inn are about on-par with each other. Both are on busy streets: Hampton on four lane Ocean Street and Mission on four lane Mission St.

I think the breakfast at Hampton Inn is a bit more extensive. The biggest difference between these is that the Hampton is a hotel. You go in the front entrance to the check-in desk and from there you walk through hallways to your room. The Mission Inn is what used to be called a motel. You check in at the office and then go into the parking lot and up outdoor stairs to your room. All rooms open to the outdoors and the parking lot.

washington, d.c.
2. Re: Hampton Inn Santa Cruz or Mission Inn?

Thanks for the information! I'm old enough to definitely remember motels, they certainly are a dying breed! We stayed at several wonderful motels last year on a trip through Maine.

My only real concern is location in terms of safety. I wouldn't even have thought of it, but there was a review on TripAdvisor for the Hampton that mentioned some concerns about the parking area with a lot of homeless folks hanging out, although no one reported any crimes. I'm used to living in an urban area so this is not unfamiliar or necessarily a deal-breaker, but I wondered if one hotel might be considered to be in a safer area than the other.

Thank you again for your help!

Santa Cruz, CA
reviews: 33
3. Re: Hampton Inn Santa Cruz or Mission Inn?

The homeless situation exits throughout Santa Cruz. It's not as bad as, say San Francisco, but not as clean as say Santa Barbara or Carmel. It is what it is. As a frequent traveler for work I like the Hampton amenities, but as a frequent traveler to odd and kitschy places, I might go for the Mission.

Santa Cruz, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 7
4. Re: Hampton Inn Santa Cruz or Mission Inn?

For the number of homeless people you are likely to encounter I'd say on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the worst) the Hampton is a 6 and the Mission Inn is a 3 or 4.

washington, d.c.
5. Re: Hampton Inn Santa Cruz or Mission Inn?

Thanks very much, lulu63 and PacificAve, for your helpful replies. I do know that there's a lot of personal preferences in selecting accommodations, so what one person is comfortable with, another is not. I might go for more kitschy this trip around, even if it does mean losing those Hilton rewards points!

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond!

6. Re: Hampton Inn Santa Cruz or Mission Inn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 21, 2014