We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

san fran --> sonoma --> ???

Which Santa Barbara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hoboken, New Jersey
san fran --> sonoma --> ???

Hello,

My wife and I want to end our california trip with 3 days in a relaxing coastal town. The opportunity to lay out at a beach/pool, hike, and go out to enjoy great food at night would all be high on the checklist. Obviously this forum will be a bit bias, but from sonoma, would it be worth the trip down the coast to finish up in Santa Barbara (and then fly out of LAX), or would staying up further north in the carmel/monterey area fit the bill (and fly out of SFO).

Any ideas/suggestions would be super appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthew

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
1. Re: san fran --> sonoma --> ???

My advice would be not to make the long drive from Sonoma to Santa Barbara. I would choose the Monterey/Pacific Grove//Carmel area, which is a little over two hours from SFO. For advice on lodging and beaches go to the Monterey Peninsula Forum.

On your way to the Monterey area, take Hwy 1 down the coast and stop for awhile in Santa Cruz....lunch? We are three hours from the town of Sonoma.

http://tinyurl.com/y4hnbu9

Enjoy your trip.

Santa Barbara...
reviews: 12
2. Re: san fran --> sonoma --> ???

It's a long drive from Sonoma to Santa Barbara. But Santa Barbara is spectacular.....

There's everything you're asking about. Hiking, nice beaches, great restaurants, relaxation. But easily a 7 hour drive. :-(

If you do decide to stay up north...I must highly recommend that you take a trip to Point Lobos just south of Monterey. Go hiking there. It's beautiful. And if you're SCUBA divers, you certainly HAVE to stop there to dive.

3. Re: san fran --> sonoma --> ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 15, 2014