We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm springs to Santa Barbara

Which Santa Barbara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Y Felinheli, United...
Palm springs to Santa Barbara

How long would it take to drive from Palm Springs to Santa Barbara leaving tomorrow morning around 7:30?

Thanks

Santa Barbara, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Barbara, Channel Islands National Park
reviews: 15
1. Re: Palm springs to Santa Barbara

It will take a little over 3 hours.

Edited: 12:51 pm, April 29, 2012
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 14
2. Re: Palm springs to Santa Barbara

I think a "little over 3 hours" is slightly optimistic. With NO traffic it's about a 3.5 hour drive. Considering you will hit morning traffic in LA you can add another 30 minutes or so to that.

Dr. Z

Y Felinheli, United...
3. Re: Palm springs to Santa Barbara

Thanks for the replies.

California
4. Re: Palm springs to Santa Barbara

Hello Apcreek ~

Hmmm . . . leaving Palm Springs at 7:30 on a Monday morning? And going to Santa Barbara?

My calculation (not GPS) is 3 hrs, 45 minutes with LITTLE or NO traffic to speak of going through the desert.

40 minutes: from Palm Springs WEST on I-10 to San Berdoo

15 minutes: San Berdoo NORTH on I-215/I-15 to Hwy 138

60 minutes: Hwy 138 WEST to Antelope Valley Freeway (Hwy 14)

(Approaching Palmdale, CA the PEAR BLOSSOM HWY skirts the south side of Palmdale, CA whereas Hwy 138 itself takes you directly into Palmdale - UGH - there is about 7 to 10 miles of stoplights in Palmdale, CA via 138. If you miss the PEAR BLOSSOM HWY cut-off which takes you WEST to Fwy 14, you will ADD 30 minutes going into Palmdale proper)

20 minutes: Antelope Valley Freeway 14 SOUTH to I-5

10 minutes: I-5 NORTH to Hwy 128 (128 goes to Fillmore & Santa Paula & Ventura) Or is ot Hwy 126?

50 minutes: Hwy 128 WEST to Hwy 101 & Ventura thru Santa Paula

30 minutes: Hwy 101 NORTH from Ventura, CA to Santa Barbara

If you think you want to go thru Pasadena, you can do that. But in my book, all bets are off because I think a fare amount of rush traffic will still be on the I-210 thru Pomona/LaVerne and then again approaching and in Pasadena. I gets it's worth a try if you want to go that way! What I know for sure is that Santa Barbara from Pomona via I-210 WITHOUT ANY TRAFFIC is 2 hours. I did it weekly for one year.

Edited: 3:22 pm, April 29, 2012
Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 300
5. Re: Palm springs to Santa Barbara

Rather than trying such a convoluted route with multiple highway changes, I'd keep it simple, especially if I was not familiar with the area. I'd take I-10 from Palm Springs into downtown LA, connect with Hwy 101 and on to Santa Barbara. Leaving Palm Springs at around 7:30 will likely have you behind the worst of the morning commute and get you into LA around 9:30.

If you could leave a little later than 7:30 it would help, but 4 hours should be enough time to allow, even with a few slowdowns on the way.

(We lived in the LA area for 10 - me - and 30 - spouse - years. Still visit family & friends there, plus vacation in Palm Springs/Indio area often).

Y Felinheli, United...
6. Re: Palm springs to Santa Barbara

Thanks, really need to be in Santa Barbara by 11.30 at the very latest. The earlier we arrive the better really.

Think we shall leave at 7am to leave spare time for any hold ups.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 14
7. Re: Palm springs to Santa Barbara

That sounds like a better idea.

To help you avoid a potential traffic jam tune into one of two radio stations on the AM dial. Both 1070 and 980 give frequent traffic updates that should help you arrive by 11am.

Have fun

Dr. Z

Y Felinheli, United...
8. Re: Palm springs to Santa Barbara

Cheers Dr Z :)

9. Re: Palm springs to Santa Barbara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:42 pm, June 18, 2013