We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cellphone Coverage

Which San Simeon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tralee,Ireland
reviews: 3
Cellphone Coverage

Hi everyone,

I will be driving from San Francisco through Big Sur and San Simeon areas. I'm from Ireland and hoping to pick up a US SIM or disposable cellphone to use while travelling. Can anyone advise as to best coverage provider in the area? I'm looking at AT&T. Thanks in advance!

Conor

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 132
1. Re: Cellphone Coverage

There are just two carriers for GSM, T-mobile and AT&T and in general along highway 1 there are hot and cold spots so you can choose either and you may still have some issues but there will be coverage in the main cities

Tralee,Ireland
2. Re: Cellphone Coverage

That's great, thanks. I'm considering getting an AT&T throwaway phone in Walmart. As I'm not a US resident, would there be any issues purchasing one, or can I just go into Walmart when I arrive to get one?

Dublin, California
reviews: 31
3. Re: Cellphone Coverage

No issue. Walmart will gladly take your money.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
4. Re: Cellphone Coverage

AT&T store, Radio Shack, Best Buy, Target all carry those phones so just look for the closest store. Does not have to be a walmart but if one is close, sure why not. You may find them at Walgreens or CVS drugstores as well

Tralee,Ireland
5. Re: Cellphone Coverage

That's perfect thanks guys!

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 8
6. Re: Cellphone Coverage

Verizon has a better foot print along the central California coast. You likely won't have cell access along the Big Sur coast. Very few, if any cell towers.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
7. Re: Cellphone Coverage

To get a temp phone, verizon would be fine as K'mom said but it does not operate on the GSM frequencies so if the OP or visitors go with purchasing SIM cards for their own cell phones, then they have to go with t-mobile or att

Edited: 5:18 pm, August 31, 2013
Tralee,Ireland
8. Re: Cellphone Coverage

Looks like AT&T are the best option. I will be bringing over my Samsung Galaxy, and SIM cards available in Radio Shack.... Thanks for all the info and advice guys!

9. Re: Cellphone Coverage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 02, 2014