We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking Dining Suggestions

Which San Simeon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 26
Seeking Dining Suggestions

My sister and I (around 50-ish each) are going to be staying near the Hearst Castle for two nights during the week (i.e, not the weekend) in May. We are looking for dining suggestions in the area . . . nothing fancy . . . something with a nice view and decent food/prices . . . breakfast and/or dinner.

We had read about Ragged Point and the Cavalier but are wondering what else is good in the area.

Thanks!

Von

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
1. Re: Seeking Dining Suggestions

A bit south of San Simeon is the small town of Cambria that probably has better dining options than SS. Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill has a large patio area which is fun. The beach is across the street. Along the beach itself (a bit raised) is a lovely wooden boardwalk for a nice post prandial parade!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
2. Re: Seeking Dining Suggestions

As a matter of fact, in my experience, San Simeon would not be a choice for a two night stay. It has all the ambiance of a "place you stay to be near the tourist attraction", if you know what I mean.

We prefer to stay in a motel on Moonstone Beach in Cambria. It is a short drive back to San Simeon to visit the Castle. There are also very good restaurants in Cambria. I did not find one in San Simeon. Maybe I was unlucky.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3. Re: Seeking Dining Suggestions

The Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill looks very nice. Thanks for the suggestion.

As for lodging, we are committed to our plans in SS. For me, a hotel, so long as it is clean and convenient, is all I'm looking for . . . at the most affordable price/value. Looking at the price we got for a decent place in SS vs. what we'd be looking at at Cambria, it's not worth the extra $150-$200 (for two nights). So yes, we are taking the "place near the tourist attraction" on this trip :)

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
4. Re: Seeking Dining Suggestions

Cambria and San Simeon are very close to each other, so the drive down to Cambria for dinner is no big deal. Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill is your best option for dinner with a view. The El Chorlito Mexican restaurant in SS has a view from their front dining room, but those tables fill up quick. You're likely to end up with a table in the bar area, so Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill is a good option.

reviews: 713
5. Re: Seeking Dining Suggestions

Moonstone Bar & Grill is a very good option! Cambria also has The Sea Chest which has oceanviews. Happy Travels! :)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
6. Re: Seeking Dining Suggestions

I owe a follow-up here, in thanks for the suggestion of Moonstone Bar & Grill. We did have dinner there one night, and it was good. We were disappointed in the location as it wasn't in the best position for a nice sunset photo, but the food & service was good.

Regarding staying and dining at the Best Western Cavalier, we could not have been happier with that decision/choice. The room, while basic, was oceanview and the sunset lovely. Dining (dinner or breakfast) was outstanding . . . great good at an outstanding value.

Here is the travel journal I wrote on the Central Coast part of my California holiday last month: igougo.com/journal-j78037-San_Simeon-Califor… .

7. Re: Seeking Dining Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 02, 2014