We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Travel Puzzle

Which San Simeon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
My Travel Puzzle

Ok, got to get time off the books. . .My husband and I will be leaving the east coast of Florida to tour the west coast of California. . . WEEK TWO of our trip will be spent traveling the coast south by car. . . Hotels stays have been confirmed for several months. . . I’ve been monitoring TA putting the road trip together trying to balance our interest (I can do the outdoor things since I work on environmental restoration projects in S. FL). . . But need to strike a balance for Hubby (I don’t think the trails will be a challenge, kayaking is out <LOL>). . . So we love touring cathedrals, castles, and botanical gardens when traveling. . .I think that translates to history path tours, missions, and gardens on the west coast. . . So have I but the puzzle pieces of our road trip together properly? I think we’ll make travel through Big Sur before road closures/night fall? Not sure the mix on Day 3 and Day 4 is right? Hours of operation at land marks/ natural lands/tours/museums seem to dictate what/when we can see things. . . I’m really bummed that we’ll miss out on the Coastal Discovery Center. . .

WK 1 San Francisco/ Yosemite/Wine Country/Muir Woods/Sausalito

May 6 -Day1 - Mon

Depart SF arrive Monterey (9am-11am) one night stay in Monterey Hotel

Presidio Museum (Hrs: M-10am-1pm)

Monterey State Historic House/cell phone tour (Gardens open 9-5; Colton Hall Museum M-10am -4pm)

Mission San Carlos (HRS: M-F 9:30am -4:30pm)

Pebble Beach 17-Mile Scenic Drive

May 7- Day2 - Tue

Depart Monterey for San Simeon (7am) for two night stay in San Simeon

Point Lobos SNR Bird Island Trail (China Cove) 8-11 (2hrs)

Bixby Bridge (1hrs)

Big Sur Station (tTrail?)

Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park Overlook Trail (McWay Falls) (1hr)

Elephant Seal Rookery

May8- Day3 - Wed

Hearst Castle 8-12 (Grand Room/Upstairs Tours 9:20am-11:20pm) 4hrs

Morro Bay/Morro Rock/Lunch (12:30pm-2pm)

San Luis Obispo Mission (HRS: Sat-Sun 9am-5pm)

San Luis Obispo’s Walking Tours (w/podcast)

Back to San Simeon Hotel

May 9 - Day4 - Th

Piedras Blancos Light House Tour (Th 9:45am-?

San Simeon to Santa Barbara (1 night stay)

TBD (missing pieces)

May 10-Day5

SB: LotusLand Garden (M-F 9am-5pm )

Santa Barbara to LA (2 day stay)

TBD (missing pieces)

May 11-Day6

Day 2 IN LA

TBD (missing pieces)

WK3 San Diego/Fun with friends

TBD (missing pieces)

Los Osos, California
reviews: 3
1. Re: My Travel Puzzle

If you can change your hotel reservations I would not head back to San Simeon after going to SLO. It would make more sense to tour the light house after Hearst Castle and then head to SLO stopping in MB along the way.

Seattle, Washington
2. Re: My Travel Puzzle

When ever I see a (what I call) micro-managed trip outline, and things like: "Bixby Bridge (1hrs)", I wonder: What happens to everything following if you stay longer than an hour? Several of these will snowball and then where will you be?

So, I suggest that you don't micromanage so much, maybe cut down on the amount of things/areas you'll experience, and sort of just go with the flow of your travels and adventure.

Florida
3. Re: My Travel Puzzle

Naturalthud, Thanks for feedback on the puzzle. . . Will go with the flow of our grand adventure, even if all the pieces don't come together. . . I'm viewing hotels as hubs as some of tours are being dictated by the hours/days conducted.

4. Re: My Travel Puzzle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 29, 2014