We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

View of Hearst Castle?

Which San Simeon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Suffolk, England
reviews: 27
View of Hearst Castle?

Can you see Hearst Castle from anywhere outside of the property? Given the costs of tours I am not sure I want to take one. Would we be able to see it from the Hwy 1?

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
reviews: 10
11. Re: View of Hearst Castle?

The best book to look at if you want to read up on WRH is "The Chief" by David Nasaw...even if you read just the first chapter. If you read the introduction to "The Times We Had" (the memoirs of Marion Davies, Hearst's girlfriend), you'll be reading the words of Orson Welles, who produced "Citizen Kane." He compares the real people and story to the movie's and makes clear better than any tour guide could that the movie was inspired by Hearst's story, but not a documentary by any stretch of the imagination.

The place is more about history, life and times and the people who were there and the art.

Redlands, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 3
12. Re: View of Hearst Castle?

I actually went to the Hearst Castle because a local group was offering an overnight tour and it seems like a good idea. It's something that is unique to California and I thought it might please me in an artistic sense. It wasn't really for the movie star lore, etc. When I was there, I loved the gardens, the scruptures, the great Roman pool, and the architecture. The docents tell interesting stories. No matter what they talk about whether how the family used to picnic on their land before William Randolph Hearst got this idea to build something or the movie stars using the guest houses, it's all interesting. The visitors center will tell you of his boyhood and life, it's not really necessary to read prior to going unless you want to save some time.

After I visited Hearst Castle I become more interested in architecture and I think it is very inspiring to learn how it was built.

Edited: 2:08 am, September 30, 2012
Redlands, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 3
13. Re: View of Hearst Castle?

I should clarify that the tour I took was not staying overnight in Hearst Castle, we stayed at a motel in San Simion. (Also on the tour was Solvang, Santa Barbara, and Morro Bay.)

Edited: 2:10 am, September 30, 2012
San Diego...
reviews: 30
14. Re: View of Hearst Castle?

If you do watch "Citizen Kane" make note this building, which appears for about 3 seconds near the beginning, used as part of the depiction of the "Xanadu" estate, a fictionalized version of Hearst Castle in the film.

…smugmug.com/Travel/…SAM1825-M.jpg

That building is not part of Hearst Castle; it is the Botanical Building in Balboa Park in San Diego, and it's very close to the San Diego Zoo. And you can walk through it when it's open (10 am to 4 pm) and see a variety of orchids and other rare tropical plants. Free to the public, but closed on Thursdays and holidays.

15. Re: View of Hearst Castle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 14, 2013