We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Q about family at Hearst Castle

Which San Simeon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 41
Q about family at Hearst Castle

Hi

If I, the mum, want to do a tour or two and DH looks after the children for me as they are only 2 and 5yo, are they able to wander through the gardens while I go inside?

They would not be interested in taking any tours due to their age.

Thanks

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 80
1. Re: Q about family at Hearst Castle

Hearst Castle is at the top of a large hill and the only public access up the hill is with a tour. And then you must stay with your tour - you can't ride the bus up and then wander off on your own.

So, unfortunately DH and the kids can't wander the gardens while you tour the castle. They can hang out around the vistors center though. There are picnic areas there and places for the kids to run and play.

Australia
reviews: 41
2. Re: Q about family at Hearst Castle

Thankyou!

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 8
3. Re: Q about family at Hearst Castle

Well, actually I think the hubby and kids could wander the outdoor areas, but you would need to purchase a tour for them. The tours have been shortened to 40-45 minutes and then you're free to wander the grounds as long as you like afterwards. I can't see why anyone who has paid for a tour couldn't freely walk the grounds and skip the interior tours.

But.... as mentioned.... there are things your hubby and kids can do inside the Visitor's Center if you don't want to pay for just walking around the grounds or they can drive across to the other side of the highway and walk out on the San Simeon pier.

Edited: 7:53 pm, September 05, 2012
Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
reviews: 10
4. Re: Q about family at Hearst Castle

I work at the Castle and can confirm Kibblesmom's speculation that your hubby and kids could opt to not go inside on the tour and enjoy just walking around the grounds. The 2 year old would be considered a "lap sitter" and be free. Your 5 year old's ticket would be $12. Adults $25 each. Everyone would come up on the bus and you'd separate when the tour goes inside.

There is a free museum with a lot of things to see in the Visitor's Center, and as mentioned the pier and old San Simeon village across the highway from the Visitor's Center.

Edited: 11:42 pm, September 05, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
5. Re: Q about family at Hearst Castle

(gotta love TA - have a question, answer isn't on the official site, but here it is! :>)

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
6. Re: Q about family at Hearst Castle

Just so you know, you do need to stay with the group when you first come off the bus to hear the guidelines and how things work for when you are ready to leave, but once you are at the Main Terrace and in front of the Casa Grande you can go your own way. If anyone in uniform asks you to catch up with the group to go inside, just tell them you want to stay outside and don't intend to go inside while you're there.

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
7. Re: Q about family at Hearst Castle

Just so you know, you do need to stay with the group when you first come off the bus to hear the guidelines and how things work for when you are ready to leave, but once you are at the Main Terrace and in front of the Casa Grande you can go your own way. If anyone in uniform asks you to catch up with the group to go inside, just tell them you want to stay outside and don't intend to go inside while you're there.

8. Re: Q about family at Hearst Castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 17, 2014