We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morro Bay or Pismo Beach

Which San Luis Obispo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 6
Morro Bay or Pismo Beach

My boyfriend and I will be traveling from Paso Robles to Santa Barbara and are trying to decide where to stop for an afternoon in the San Luis Obispo area....We are wanting a scenic place to stop for some relaxation and for a nice dinner. Thought about Morro Bay or Pismo Beach, but are definitely open to suggestions!!

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 8
1. Re: Morro Bay or Pismo Beach

Well, it's kind of parallel to Paso Robles, but Cambria comes first and foremost into mind for scenic & relaxing. It's about a 25 minute drive via Highway 46 West to Highway 1 north. Cambria is about 4 miles from the 46/1 junction:

www.cambriachamber.org/

Dining options:

Robin's

Sow's Ear

Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill

Cambria to Santa Barbara is about a 2 1/2 hour drive.

In Morro Bay is Windows on the Water for a "nice" dinner. For Pismo: Steamer's of Pismo or F McClintock's Saloon & Dining House.

Edited: 8:54 pm, May 05, 2010
San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 80
2. Re: Morro Bay or Pismo Beach

For relaxation and a nice dinner, Cambria would be my choice too. Pismo Beach would be my second choice. I like Morro Bay too, but it isn't where I'd go for a nice dinner and relaxation - it is a really casual town, more of a fishing community dominated by the harbor and a big rock.

reviews: 767
3. Re: Morro Bay or Pismo Beach

If you go to Cambria, Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill has gorgeous views from their outdoor patio area. In the Pismo area, I would go with either Lido @ the Dolphin Bay Resort or Mirasol @ the Cliffs Resort, both of these places are in Shell Beach and have beautiful oceanviews and great food. www.centralcoast.com Have fun! :)

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 69
4. Re: Morro Bay or Pismo Beach

I suggest heading over to Pismo Beach or nearby Avila Beach. In fact, I think Avila Beach may have exactly the kind of atmosphere you are looking for!

Morro Bay is a harborside fishing town, and it's very casual. Cambria, besides being west of Paso Robles instead of en route to Santa Barbara, may be too soon in your drive for dinner. I've never been particularly impressed with the dining options there.

If you leave Paso Robles relatively early, I suggest waiting to eat dinner until you reach Solvang. Solvang is in interesting faux Danish town with lots of restaurants. It isn't on the water, but it's otherwise comparable.

Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
5. Re: Morro Bay or Pismo Beach

Morro Bay is fine, Cambria too--but I'll put my vote in for Avila Beach as a great stop-off. Just off the beaten path (but less than 10 minutes from the 101), neat seaside feel, something like what you would imagine a really cool southern California beach town to be if the LA area suddenly was depopulated. Sort of has the ambiance of Bodega Bay, but the weather and sand of southern California--a nice combo. FYI--Avila is always a much warmer, more swimmable beach than Pismo, almost always out of the fog (when both Pismo and Morro Bay are slammed), mostly because of its protected, southern exposure... And some nice low key shops and places to eat...

A great little afternoon break--and walk the Bob Jones Trail from the town all the way up along San Luis Creek for a few miles...

Avila Beach...that's your answer.

reviews: 767
6. Re: Morro Bay or Pismo Beach

If you do decide on Avila Beach (which we love) The Custom House is a nice place for a meal, it is right across the street from the ocean. I also heard that Avila Barn is now open and running in full swing, also! We were in Avila this past Jan. and were disappointed that we missed visiting there. Have fun! :0

Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
7. Re: Morro Bay or Pismo Beach

yes, the Avila Barn is in full swing...sort of an open air market in a rural setting...though be aware it's not in Avila Beach itself, but about 5 minutes back on the road toward the freeway...good local fruits and vegetables...pies...etc...

....later in the summer, a trip up nearby See Canyon for the apples is a must...

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 80
8. Re: Morro Bay or Pismo Beach

Avila is a great choice - I change my answer :)

9. Re: Morro Bay or Pismo Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 27, 2010