We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Luis Obispo - What to do? Suggestions & Recommendations

Which San Luis Obispo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 26
San Luis Obispo - What to do? Suggestions & Recommendations

We are planning to visit San Luis Obispo, CA this spring. We have never been there before; therefore, any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
1. Re: San Luis Obispo - What to do? Suggestions & Recommendations

If you are going this spring, check out Carrizo Plain, which has been a national monument for about ten years in San Luis Obispo County. The wildflowers are georgous.

sanluisobispocounty.com/phototour/…

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
2. Re: San Luis Obispo - What to do? Suggestions & Recommendations

San Luis Obispo is a great place to base yourself for a visit to the Central Coast. Here's a list of "things to do" to choose from:

1) Visit downtown and the historical mission located there.

2) Drive down to Pismo Beach and/or Avila Beach for walks on the sand or piers. Factory outlet mall, hot tubbing at Sycamore Mineral Springs or take a hummer ride out in the dunes: www.xtremehummeradventures.net or a bi-plane flight out of Oceano Airpark.

3) Wine tasting. Two great wine regions to explore: Paso Robles and Edna Valley.

4) Montana de Oro State Park. Ocean front park with a wonderful trail lading out to jagged cliffs carved out by ocean waves. Tide pools can be found here, as well.

5) Explore Morro Bay & Cayucos

6) Coastal hamlet of Cambria. One of our prettiest coastal towns with great little shops and excellent restaurants.

7) Hearst Castle tour(s), elephant seal rookery 4 miles north of Hearst Castle. Drive a few miles further (14) to Ragged Point, which is the southern most part of Big Sur coast. Beautiful views from this elevated location above the Pacific Ocean. There's also a restaurant, gift shop, snack bar & mini mart on site.

8) Village of Arroyo Grande. Quaint western themed shopping district with a community park behind the south side shops with gazebo & swinging bridge.

reviews: 740
3. Re: San Luis Obispo - What to do? Suggestions & Recommendations

We loved our time in downtown SLO in Jan. after a stay in Shell Beach @ the Cliffs Resort. The downtown area has alot of great shops and we found a restaurant there that we loved called NOVO where I would suggest you plan a meal. The Sycamore Springs Resort also has a very nice fine dining restaurant called The Gardens of Avila. www.centralcoast.com is a nice website for this area. Enjoy your trip! :)

Mission Viejo...
reviews: 41
4. Re: San Luis Obispo - What to do? Suggestions & Recommendations

Sending someone from Arizona to a steak house is the "coals to Newcastle" thing, but here goes.... The town of Creston is about 30 miles north of SLO. The Loading Chute is great for lunch or dinner. You can't miss it since it's about the only sizable business in town. Creston has the odd distinction of being the place where L Ron Hubbard died. Scientology still has a large and secluded enclave south of town.

There's also a great breakfast place in downtown Arroyo Grande. It'sabout a mile north of Hwy 101 on the left side of Branch St. For the life of me I can't remember the name. (Kibblesmom can help, it's a white building with stucco arches).

Edited: 1:53 am, March 06, 2010
Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
5. Re: San Luis Obispo - What to do? Suggestions & Recommendations

Might that be The Village Cafe?

Edited: 8:08 am, March 06, 2010
UK
reviews: 85
6. Re: San Luis Obispo - What to do? Suggestions & Recommendations

Pay a visit to the Madonna Inn,it's certainly different!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
7. Re: San Luis Obispo - What to do? Suggestions & Recommendations

"Pay a visit to the Madonna Inn"

Yes, visit the bakery cafe and especially have a look in the Gents, they have a rock waterfall urinal.

Mission Viejo...
reviews: 41
8. Re: San Luis Obispo - What to do? Suggestions & Recommendations

Kibblesmom- Bingo, Village Cafe !! I didn't think to use Google Maps street view, which shows it as well. I hope they are still good, I haven't been there in a few years. My friend in SLO introduced me to the place.

9. Re: San Luis Obispo - What to do? Suggestions & Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, September 03, 2010