We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

montana de oro state park

Which San Luis Obispo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bellflower, ca
montana de oro state park

Is there any good fishing spots at Montana de Oro state park?

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
1. Re: montana de oro state park

I don't think fishing is allowed within Montana de Oro. I've seen horseback riding, hiking & tidepooling, but no fishing. The surf there is really turbulent and dangerous.

There is fishing off the piers in Pismo Beach and Avila Beach or you could charter a fishing expedition out of Morro Bay. I've also seen fishing from the beach in Pismo, but never in Montana de Oro.

reviews: 740
2. Re: montana de oro state park

When we were in Avila Beach last October, there were several fishermen fishing off of the pier there and out in boats, this is a beautiful area to spend time in. Have fun at the coast! :)

Bellflower, ca
3. Re: montana de oro state park

Thank you, that actually helps me out. Happy travels!

Bellflower, ca
4. Re: montana de oro state park

Thank you. One more question...is Avila Beach close by to Montana de Oro. Can we hike, or do we have to drive?

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
5. Re: montana de oro state park

You have to drive to reach Avila Beach from Montana de Oro. PG&E's Diablo Nuclear Power Plant is situated between these two areas and, needless to say, is restricted to authorized PG&E personnel only.

It's also kind of a long way around to get to Avila. You have to double back to San Luis Obispo (18 miles), take the 101 south to Avila Beach Drive (Approx. 4 miles and only open weekends. If visiting during weekday, use San Luis Bay Drive off-ramp instead). The drive through Avila Valley is quite pleasant.

Miami, Florida
reviews: 283
6. Re: montana de oro state park

Check out the pier in Port San Luis. I'm not sure if they catch anything, but it's a beautiful spot.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
7. Re: montana de oro state park

Great advice, Josh.

The Hartford Pier in Avila is a historical landmark in the area. Very pretty to walk out on at night while looking back at the lights of Avila and Pismo Beach.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
reviews: 7
8. Re: montana de oro state park

In case ocean12 doesn't know, the Port San Luis pier is in Avila Beach, the town everyone else has commented on. It's a beautiful spot, and one of my favorite places in California. We stay at the Avila Lighthouse Suites whenever we go.

9. Re: montana de oro state park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 pm, October 09, 2009