We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF-LA with 6month and 4 year old where to stop to break up t

Which San Luis Obispo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belmont, California
reviews: 1
SF-LA with 6month and 4 year old where to stop to break up t

We will be leaving from Palo Alto and have to be in Sherman Oaks for a family event on Sept 1 and our daughter, 6 months does not enjoy car rides( screams and cries like she is on fire or something ) and this will be the first long one we have to make, We are htinking that if we can break the trip up - either with longer stops every approx 1.5 2 hours we just might make it there with our sanity intact. We just moved back into the area but from what we remember thereisn't a whole lot between here and there especially anything for kids. Like even a mall or park. Or just a good halfway point to even stay over with a hotel with a pool would be fine also. ANy helf would e appreciated! Thank you!

Belmont, California
11. Re: SF-LA with 6month and 4 year old where to stop to break up t

Thanks! We are gearing up for this big adventure. Glad to hear we are not the only ones who suffer such drama, Also thanks soooo much for the recommendations- it's relief to hear another family does the same things we would do. I will be checking ( again) for availability at Quality as soon as I finish typing this. The playground sound perfect! We are not sure if we will brave it and try to do a straight shot home on Sunday or maybe just pull off the 5 somewhere if things get tough. We will be playing this whole thing by ear!

Thanks again.

Newbury Park...
reviews: 27
12. Re: SF-LA with 6month and 4 year old where to stop to break up t

I have three - the youngest also does NOT enjoy long rides - but I find it MUCH easier to have one long day instead of two decent days of driving. Tying to strap her in the next day after being in the car the first day is deadly. She screams immediately. I also find if we get up really early in the morning - I keep her in her p.j.s and strap her in when she is still sleepy - she'll often go back to sleep and sleep for a good portion of the morning. The in and out of the car just adds to the yelling. That way we are also at our destination early in the afternoon and she can unwind before dinner and bedtime routines.

There is little or nothing along the 5 freeway, but you can make good time to Sherman Oaks.

I have also found that certain music CD's have a calming effect. She has always liked Elmo (okay - I am not sure what is worse - her screaming or listen to Elmo for 5 hours straight...)

Good Luck.

Belmont, California
13. Re: SF-LA with 6month and 4 year old where to stop to break up t

Hi all

- just wanted to thank you all for your great help! We have made to Shermna okas, Stayed at the Quality suites which was great for us only disappointing thing was the pool was way cold especially the toddler one. All your tips for stopping along the way were so helpful!

We didn't really get to explore SLo from what we saw we caqn't wait to return for a longer visit sometime!

Now though we are faced with our return trip and while the kids did amazingly well we are not sure they are up for the straight shot on the 5 but we want to try We don't want to do the 101 and then get caught up in the beach/hjoliday traffic tomorrow.

. Any ideas where we could stay overnight if need be 1/2 way or about 3 -4 hours from Sherman Oaks. We are leaving today to try to avoid some of the holiday traffic.

thanks!

Walnut Creek, CA
reviews: 14
14. Re: SF-LA with 6month and 4 year old where to stop to break up t

Late advice but we oftened traveled from northern to central CA with our kids as we have family in both locations (Walnut Creek, Santa Barbara)/ We left at 8 pm so they would sleep and the traffic was lighter. Eventually they outgrow it - hang in there and keep traveling with them!

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
15. Re: SF-LA with 6month and 4 year old where to stop to break up t

If you find this before you've left for home, Kettleman City would be a good halfway point for you. It's mostly hotels and fast food joints, but at least it's an option.

** Glad to hear you made it to Sherman Oaks with your sanity intact.

16. Re: SF-LA with 6month and 4 year old where to stop to break up t

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 08, 2009