We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short layover in SFO before flying to Asia

Which San Leandro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lakeland
reviews: 9
short layover in SFO before flying to Asia

I am stopping in SFO in December enroute to HK and then Manila. According to the time I will have shy of 2 hours to get off the American airlines plane and check in at Cathay Pacific. I am thinking this should be enough time to do such a thing? I am wondering if American will transfer my luggage to Cathay of if I need to pick them up and take them to Cathay's check in. Any opinions?

John

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
1. Re: short layover in SFO before flying to Asia

>>I am thinking this should be enough time to do such a thing?<<

If you mean will you have time to go into the city, the answer would have to be no. The airport is 13 miles from the city, and if you leave the secure area you would need to go through security lines.

If you have to go through customs and immigration, I don't believe you can check your luggage through, even though I believe that Cathay is a code share partner with American, but check with the airline.

California
reviews: 12
2. Re: short layover in SFO before flying to Asia

It sounds like the OP is asking if after arriving at SFO via American and departing 2 hours later on Cathay will he/she have enough time to transfer bags from American to Cathay or will American do the transfer for him/her? I didn't read that the OP was thinking of leaving the airpot.

Is your place of origin in the US so that landing at SFO wouldn't mean a trip through Customs?

You might ask American about how the bags will be handled if you don't get the answer here.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 4
3. Re: short layover in SFO before flying to Asia

American and Cathay codeshare. If you start your trip in the US, there shouldn't be a reason to have to go through customs or immigration at SFO. American will transfer your bags directly to Cathay.

If you return to the US through SFO, then you will have to go through customs and immigration.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
4. Re: short layover in SFO before flying to Asia

OOOOH. Thanks suzie. I must have been brain dead when I read OP's post. Duuuuh.

Lakeland
reviews: 9
5. Re: short layover in SFO before flying to Asia

Yeah, this helps alot. I am flying from Tampa to Dallas and then to SFO. If the flights are on time I should have 1 hr 50 minutes layover in SFO before departing for Hong Kong and then to Manila. I saw that there is an air train there which could take me to the terminal and check for Cathay.

Not looking to visit S.F. Just passing through.

I will ask American about the baggage. On my previous trips I used another airline and had a much longer layover so I had my luggage with me. I have never done a layover so short and with internation flights I wasn't sure if it was similiar to domestic or not.

Thanks for the comments.

John in Fl

6. Re: short layover in SFO before flying to Asia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 27, 2010
Get answers to your questions about San Leandro