We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for overnight stay before and after Hawaii flights

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
reviews: 161
Hotel for overnight stay before and after Hawaii flights

My husband and I are flying Hawaiian Airlines from SJC to Maui, and since the flight out leaves very early, and the return is late, we're going to need a place to stay for one night on each end. I've gone through the list of hotels on the airport's website and see that some of them specifically mention shuttle service and others say a shuttle may be arranged in advance. I was hoping to find a hotel with regular shuttle service to and from the airport, but I'm also willing to take a taxi.

Our flight to SJC from AUS will arrive around 11am, so we were also hoping for something that would allow us to easily access the light rail so we could venture downtown for some sight-seeing and dinner that afternoon/evening. For the return, the flight from Maui to SJC arrives late and we're leaving again early the next morning, so easy access to the airport is the main factor for that night. A hotel with late night roomservice would also be appreciated.

Any suggestions? Would a downtown hotel be better for the first night?

11 replies to this topic
Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 97
1. Re: Hotel for overnight stay before and after Hawaii flights

I stayed at a Fairfield Inn near SJC about a month ago. It was adequate with shuttle service. But be careful and phone ahead because like other hotels, the advertised shuttle may simply not be available for the earliest flights. The Fairfield Inn is on First Street so the light rail is accessible. VTA bus #10 is another option to get between SJC and First Street. SJC to First Street is also merely a 30 minute walk. SJC is one of the few large airports that are still within 30 minutes walking distance to things.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
2. Re: Hotel for overnight stay before and after Hawaii flights

I haven't stayed in any of the hotels near the airport, but as Darth days, the airport is in the middle of the city, so it is easy to get to and from the airport - this gives you a lot of options. Any hotel along 1st street would give you easy access to the light rail and downtown. Also, taxis are a good option, especially for early and late flights when shuttles may or may not be running - or not running very often. Taxis originating from the airport have a flat rate of $15 for the first 5 miles, including the airport surcharge.

The Hilton Doubletree is a hotel that is very close to the airport - I have heard good things about it.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
3. Re: Hotel for overnight stay before and after Hawaii flights

Thank you for the suggestions, and for the information about the flat-fee taxis. Also good to know that the airport is actually in the city. I thought so, by looking at the map, but good to have it confirmed.

I've been looking at hotels and trying to book, but almost everything seems to be booked already, including the Doubletree and the Fairfield Inn. The trip isn't until May 2014, so perhaps it's just too early to book and things are showing up with no rooms available. I'm going to try to call a couple of places today and see if they are really booked, or just not taking reservations this far out. Our stays will be weeknights - a Wednesday and Thursday - so maybe places are already booked by business travelers or conventions?

San Jose
reviews: 30
4. Re: Hotel for overnight stay before and after Hawaii flights

We had a nice stay at the four points Shearton, and it is very central. You really need to request a room at the back though as the ones right over the street must be noisy. Ours was super quiet. I have only stayed at Hotels in my home town twice and the first time was 20 years ago at the Fairmont.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
5. Re: Hotel for overnight stay before and after Hawaii flights

I suspect that it is just too early to book hotels online. I would be absolutely shocked to find that the hotels are booked up more than 6 months in advance - SJ gets a lot of visitors, but not so many that you have to book hotel rooms months in advance.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
6. Re: Hotel for overnight stay before and after Hawaii flights

Thanks for the additional recommendations. I've been playing around with dates, and it looks like some are actually booked because it shows rooms available for dates around ours. I was just able to book a room at the Fairfield Inn for our return night, but it was showing nothing available for the night before departure. Doubletree and Four Points were booked, or not showing availability, for both. Something important happening May 14, 2014? I'm going to try calling.

california
reviews: 7
7. Re: Hotel for overnight stay before and after Hawaii flights

Doubletree does normally have booking available for almost a year ahead, except when an event causes them to reserve all rooms for it or sell out, so it may not be available.

The Holiday Inn on 1st at Gish is right in front of a light rail station. I don't know their shuttle status, but it would be one light rail stop or walk that distance to the stop for the 10 bus which goes to the airport.

There are a lot of motels on N. 1st street, you probably don't want to stay at the Motel 6 ish ones. Look for reviews. I know Doubletree is good (stayed there several times for events) but I haven't stayed at the others.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
8. Re: Hotel for overnight stay before and after Hawaii flights

Thanks, abgoing. I ended up getting a room at the Holiday Inn for the night before departure. Both it and the Fairfield Inn seem adequate for our needs. Fairfield Inn's shuttle service starts at 5am, so that's going to be able to get us to the airport in time for our flight back home. If we have to take a cab from the Holiday Inn, that's not a problem. The Doubletree is still my first choice, so I'll keep checking to see if it opens up for our dates.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
9. Re: Hotel for overnight stay before and after Hawaii flights

Flying out of SJC that early in the morning is a breeze. Our airport curfew means that 6:30 is the earliest that flights can take off, so the only passengers at the airport will be those taking the first flights of the day, so security lines are short. If you are flying out of Terminal B (basically all airlines except Alaska and SWA), you will find a Peet's Coffee as soon as you clear security.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
10. Re: Hotel for overnight stay before and after Hawaii flights

Our Hawaii flight is at 8:00am, and I think our flight back home is around the same time. We are flying SWA to San Jose and back home. It looks like there's a Starbucks in that terminal, based on the map on the airport's website, so we should be good on coffee. Thanks again for all the help!

Reply to: Hotel for overnight stay before and after Hawaii flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted