We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose/Mountain View

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu, Hawaii
reviews: 1
San Jose/Mountain View

Hi All!

I am flying into San Jose Sept 25th (land at 10p). I have a meeting in Mountain View on the 27th so I am trying to find a decent place to stay at a reasonable price. Also thinking of trying to catch the Giants game on the 26th but not sure what to expect for traffic and getting back to SJ (meaning how long to expect it to take).

I have been to SF/Monterey.Napa/Sonoma many times and would love to do Napa and Monterey on this trip. SOmeone mentioned Angel Island to me, but not sure if its worth it? Although it would be a new place for adventure. I'm travelling solo so any suggestions etc are welcomed. Mostly an affordable clean place to crash in SJ.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Honolulu, Hawaii
11. Re: San Jose/Mountain View

Oh thanks 2shorties! That does look nice, but way out of my price range since I am footing the bill. I saw all the different 'burb names...I am guessing its like Phoenix, Mesa,Tempe...all run together. I wasn't sure as I have never been to SJ, but now I am really excited and looking forward to it. I keep reading mixed reviews about theres not alot to do there. One post was someone saying they were going for a girls weekend and everyone asked why they picked SJ, so it will be nice to get there and take a look around. I'm just looking forward to having good food and being back in civilization. Any recommendations for good mexican food in SJ?

Sunnyvale...
reviews: 40
12. Re: San Jose/Mountain View

Look into the Sunnyvalr and Cupertino area. There are many hotels In the area and its a very short ride to Mt View. There is a néw Hyattl place in cupertino that is ver nice not sure of the rates.

San Jose
reviews: 32
13. Re: San Jose/Mountain View

I could write a book on good Mexican places in and around San Jose. I like the small family owned authentic places. Rubies in Sunnyvale is great, 3 Portillos close by is also good. Taqueria Tlaquepaque is very good as well, there are 3 of them in the Willow Glen area of San Jose. I eat at Chavez Market once every few weeks, and had it for lunch yesterday. The one on Fair Oaks in Sunnyvale near hwy 101 is the best as the others don't have the shredded chicken that I love. They have raised their prices significantly since I started going there and got corporate, but it is still cheaper than a sitdown place. If you want sit down service Pedro's is still pretty good. I worked for Peter for 8 years. El Grullense on Julian in San Jose is a major hole but has fantastic tacos. There are several of then around, and make sure you get some carrots if you go. The neighborhood is not the best at night. These are all reviewed on yelp.com I'm sure. San Jose is not hopping with nightlife like San Francisco but is also not as crowded and noisy. A day trip to Monterey and Carmel would be nice if you have time.

Edited: 2:34 pm, September 01, 2013
San Jose
14. Re: San Jose/Mountain View

Sorry, it is Grullense on San Carlos that I have been to, never been to the one on Julian.

Honolulu, Hawaii
15. Re: San Jose/Mountain View

Ohhhh I am soooo taking your list with me. I have lived in Hawaii 4 years now and stopped at a place (the third mexican place I have gone to in 4 years here) and it was pitiful! They offered pork or chicken tamales..so I wanted pork oh they dont have that and when I asked if they had any spicier salsa she pointed to the Tapatio Hot picante sauce to pour in it...ugh. My friends laugh saying yeah good luck finding good mexican in Hawaii. So I will be eating Mexican as much as possible while I am back in civilization. I'm ok with not a big nightlife, I as I will be traveling alone I don't see myself clubbing it solo :) I do plan on hitting both Napa and Monterey, just trying to figure out which the best way to do it since they are in opposite directions of SJ. I love both places!

Now I am dying to try the hole in the wall Grullense. I will let you know what I think! Thanks Again!

San Jose
16. Re: San Jose/Mountain View

For the best Chips and Spicy Salsa try one of the Tlaquepaque's.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 96
17. Re: San Jose/Mountain View

There's an El Grullense on El Camino Rl in Palo Alto, not far from MV. Is it related? It used to be Senor Taco a long time ago. I liked both the before and the after.

lauraneedsavacation: finding a cheap place shouldn't be too challenging exactly where you want to be during the weekend. Even the nicer places in San Jose and Mountain View have deals on Friday and Saturday nights--like Googleland Hilton Garden Inn or Avante in Mountain View. The high-rolling business people are not around as much on Friday and Saturday nights. Just book the Friday and Saturday separate from the other days to find the deals. Other days have the usual sky-rocket-high prices.

In the San Jose area, Napa's a little far. On the way to Monterey, you can get a similar wine effect on a different variation by looking into the Santa Cruz mountain wineries.

Honolulu, Hawaii
18. Re: San Jose/Mountain View

Thanks DarthA! I'm staying at the Navy Lodge for $77/nt for wed/Thurs nite in SJ. Napa is Fri Night Monterey is Sat night then back to SJ sun and fly back out on Monday. I did read about the Santa Cruz wineries, I haven't stopped there before just a drive thru to get to a different destination, so that is also on the list of plan B if my plan A gets mixed/changed up some how.

2shorties...I will definitely try one of the Tlaquepaque's. There is a place called Tlaquepaque in Arizona, we always loved taking people there and getting them to try and say the word. :) My mouth is watering now for good salsa! I plan to meet up with a friend who will come in from Kings Canyon to meet me, he asked if I wanted good steak or lobster...I was like uh helllloooo MEXICAN!! =) I can't wait!!!

19. Re: San Jose/Mountain View

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 17, 2014