We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to Stanford University

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Chester, PA
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 6
Transportation to Stanford University

My east coast daughter is arriving at SJC with full backpacking gear for pre-orientation program at Stanford on Sept 11. SW plane arrives at 1:10pm and is due at Stanford as close to 2 as convenient......it's her first trip alone and I'm thinking that a car/limo is the way to go rather than deal with the potential delays of supershuttle. Any thoughts or recommendations on a limo service?....thanks for your advice!

7 replies to this topic
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
1. Re: Transportation to Stanford University

Although I'm based in SF I use Pleasant Limo and have excellent service. They advertise SF -> SJC as $140. I'm sure it would be less to Palo Alto.

www.pleasantlimo.com

There may be SJC based limo companies but this is at least one recommendation for you.

I think your idea of a car service is a good one. Based on my experience with shared vans, she'd probably arrive at Stanford at 2PM the following day!! (Just a slight exaggeration.)

California
reviews: 12
2. Re: Transportation to Stanford University

Air One

aironelimo.com/Air_One_Limousine/Welcome.html

Russell:

http://www.russelllimo.com/

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 95
3. Re: Transportation to Stanford University

If the plane lands at 1:10pm, and the backpack needs to be collected at baggage claim, the passenger will not be ready for any kind of pick-up until 1:30 or 1:40pm earliest.

On a Wednesday afternoon, the drive from SJC to Stanford University is at least 30 minutes.

In other words, with a 1:10pm flight arrival, a real expectation for an arrival at Stanford is about 2:30 pm if a taxi is taken. ~$80. Expectation for a limo would be later than 3pm especially if there is some kind of wait + other drop-offs for a limo. For an arrival by 4pm, the train or express bus 522 would be much cheaper.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
4. Re: Transportation to Stanford University

<<Expectation for a limo would be later than 3pm especially if there is some kind of wait + other drop-offs for a limo>>

We obviously have different definitions of "limo." Shuttles may have other drop-offs but, by my definition, limos do not. Should be as fast in a limo as a cab.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 95
5. Re: Transportation to Stanford University

"We obviously have different definitions of "limo." Shuttles may have other drop-offs but, by my definition, limos do not. Should be as fast in a limo as a cab."

I guess the term "limo" is used quite loosely. Now that I look at pleasantlimo & aironelimo, I see that it is a distinctly different kind of creature with maybe 10 minute courtesy wait and an estimate of $120 + other fees for SJC to Palo Alto.

With plane schedules being kind of variable, I think the $80 taxi ride would be easier. There's a whole line of taxis waiting at SJC's baggage claim, instead of dealing with some kind of precise scheduled pick-up for a flight & baggage that may not arrive precisely as scheduled.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 68
6. Re: Transportation to Stanford University

We order car services occasionally for travel to and from SJC or SFO - you can order a limo specifically, but with only 1 person, a town car is fine and won't cost as much. Also, I have to smile at the idea of showing up to college orientation in a limo while carrying your stuff in a backpack :-) If you order a town car, you may very well end up with a limo anyway - the town cars are all busy, so the driver brings a limo :-) It is not a shared service - they just pick you up and you only - that's why it costs more than a shared shuttle.

For airport pickups, you give the company your flight info and they monitor the flight landing time - so if the schedule changes, they aren't just hanging around. The driver will meet you outside of baggage claim and take you directly to the car.

A taxi isn't a bad idea either though. But since this is the kid's first experience travelling alone, it might be worth the peace of mind to know that the transportation is arranged ahead of time.

Either way, a 2pm arrival at Stanford is probably not going to happen.

Santa Clara...
reviews: 13
7. Re: Transportation to Stanford University

How about showing up in a green Prius cab instead? I haven't used them, but they are getting good reviews:

www.yelp.com/biz/airport-taxi-san-jose-3

Reply to: Transportation to Stanford University
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted