We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

san francisco to san jose

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
san francisco to san jose

traveller from the UK. Hi, i'm planning to fly to San francisco, arriving by about 10am and would like to go on a sight seeing tour before going to San jose in the early evening. Please advise the best options regarding sight seeing tour, transport to san jose. Thank you

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: san francisco to san jose

After a 14 or so hour of travel/transit plane ride plus time spent in Immigration you wan to haul your bags or keep them somewhere(storage place at SFO international) and then go to SF, take a tour (see the list of tours on the right side of this SF forum and find perhaps an afternoon tour) and then get back to the airport,pick up bags and then go to San Jose

Really ?

Perhaps you can just take a shuttle to San Jose when you get to SFO and leave the SF sightseeing tour to another day when you have more time and it is a bit more practical. but if you don't well go ahead

Edited: 10:05 am, June 03, 2013
San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
2. Re: san francisco to san jose

I think this is probably too much for an arrival day as well. Everybody is different though, so if you are well-travelled and know how your body handles jet lag and are used to arriving in strange cities and hitting the ground running, then it is a decent idea.

If your flight arrives at 10am, plan to be leaving the airport at about 11:30. I believe there is luggage storage at the airport, but I am not sure. The airport web site should give you that information. If you can't leave your luggage at the airport, then you should be able to leave it with a concierge at one of the hotels when you get into SF itself - contact them ahead of time so you know where you need to go.

You can take BART into SF, which will put you downtown (near many full-service hotels). Including time to deal with luggage and get into town, figure it will be 1pm.

For a tour - if you want a guided tour, check out the tours listed on TA and see if any appeal. If you want to just wander around, there are a lot of choices.

Once you are done sightseeing in SF, you can go straight to SJ if you have your luggage - take a taxi to the Caltrain Station at 4th and King and then Caltrain to SJ - Caltrain takes about 60-90 minutes to SJ, depending on whether you get a limited stop train or not. From there, either a taxi or lightrail to your hotel, depending on where you are staying. If your luggage is at SFO, take BART back to SFO and then head to SJ - you can take Caltrain if you want, but I'd probably just take an airport shuttle at this point to save some hassle - I'd be pretty tired by now.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 94
3. Re: san francisco to san jose

I travel a bit and the OP does make sense to keep moving on the day of arrival until the sun sets. Coming west is a lot easier than going east, especially if it's one of those non-stops LHR-SFO. Staying on your feet in SF sounds much more interesting than trying to stay on your feet in San Jose. The air and sunshine would feel excellent. The dangerous part is sitting on a train to San Jose at the end of that very long day--that is by then, I myself would lose the battle of trying to stay awake, miss the San Jose stops and find myself in Gilroy, maybe in a dark motionless train in the middle of the night if nobody came to wake me up.

The only real question is where do you put your bags while you're touring about? Can you hire a service to send the bags directly to the San Jose location, where the bags will wait for you to catch up to them?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
4. Re: san francisco to san jose

DA. You are absolutely correct in that it is best to be active. I do the same when traveling But the OP wants a tour which is exactly not what I and you may recommend. Best to walk around but not sit in on a tour and doze off. :-). The Bart to Caltrain southbound is a pain with bags with multiple changes on weekdays so a shuttle from SFO may be best at midday. I don't think a shuttle is fun during the San Jose rush hour

San Jose downtown has walking areas museums and easier logistics to get to that specific day.

Edited: 3:12 pm, June 03, 2013
San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
5. Re: san francisco to san jose

There are only a few Caltrain runs each day that go south of SJ, so falling asleep and ending up in Gilroy isn't too much of a risk :-) Although it would be a pain since those runs don't go back north until the morning... Most trains terminate at Diridon or Tamien, both are in SJ.

Regarding the choice of tour - there are bus tours, walking tours, biking tours...I agree that sitting on a tour bus for hours probably won't be a good choice though. And who would want to after sitting on a plane for 10 hours anyway?

If the OP decides that this is all too much, there are things to do in SJ as mentioned - nothing quite as noteworthy as those in SF, but definitely enough to keep a person entertained and awake for the rest of the day.

6. Re: san francisco to san jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 05, 2014