We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to Sacto on a Friday morning

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, ca
reviews: 13
driving to Sacto on a Friday morning

A little help? I have to drive from south San Jose to West Sacramento for a 10am meeting. Should I go 680-80 or 250-I5 and how long do I need to allow? Thanks!

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 94
1. Re: driving to Sacto on a Friday morning

2.5 hrs should be plenty of time.

I vote to minimize time spent on I-80 in East Bay which always seems more abundant in nutty drivers and conditions than any other freeway.

From South San Jose, you will probably take Hwy 87 or Hwy 101 northwards and connect on to I-280 going eastward. I-280 turns into I-680 and gets you to Pleasanton/Dublin. Traffic should be flowing well the entire way.

From Pleasanton/Dublin, you can go east to 205 to I5 _or_ continue north on I-680 another 40 miles to pick up I-80 eastbound, north of the delta. Take your pick--I don't think there's much of a difference.

San Jose, ca
reviews: 13
2. Re: driving to Sacto on a Friday morning

thanks!

Rocklin, California
reviews: 19
3. Re: driving to Sacto on a Friday morning

You most likely don't want to get on I-5 to get to West Sac, unless you'll be just over the bridge from Sacramento (plus you've got the mess going through Stockton). Not knowing SJ all that well, except to bypass it, I can't imagine it taking 2.5 hours to West Sac on a Friday a.m. unless lots of accidents. Normally I'd suggest 680 to I-80 to West Sac since it's probably only 30 -45 minutes from the 680/80 connector to West Sac, and by the time you get to I-80, rush hour through Fairfield/Vacaville to Davis/Sac etc should be over, so you need to figure out how long it takes you to get to I-80. I don't think I've ever had it take more than 3 hours in super heavy, stop/go traffic to get from Santa Cruz (17-880-Mission Blvd-680-80) to the Roseville area with a pit stop in the middle, and Roseville is a good 30 minutes beyond West Sac in heavy traffic.. Just pay attention on your drive to radio stations that have traffic reports and if you find one way is blocked for some reason, adjust accordingly.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 344
4. Re: driving to Sacto on a Friday morning

Google Maps estimates 1 hr. 50 mins. (without traffic) using I-680 and I-80 vs. 1 hour, 58 minutes for I-580/205/5 to get to West Sac. I'd think your worry on traffic would be in the Bay Area, not around Sac, even I-5, after 9 a.m., but could be wrong. I'd probably lean more towards the I-5 route to avoid more Bay Area traffic, but it's been a while since I've driven through Stockton. I'd certainly get a very early start and have a leisurely breakfast along the way or in the Sac area.

Edited: 12:59 pm, April 25, 2013
5. Re: driving to Sacto on a Friday morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 27, 2014