We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in San Jose? want to walk to bars, shopping...

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
reviews: 31
where to stay in San Jose? want to walk to bars, shopping...

I was wondering if you guys can help me find a place that is not very expensive to stay in San Jose, close to restaurants, bars and shopping. I do not want to drink and drive and love to walk!

Any suggestions? Valencia Hotel is very expensive :(

Berkeley, Ca.
reviews: 72
1. Re: where to stay in San Jose? want to walk to bars, shopping...

In San Jose, you can be close to the best bar/restaurant area, or you can be close to a good shopping area, but unfortunately not both.

Downtown San Jose is the best area for restaurants and bars for somebody not driving. There are a handful of hotels--I like the older DeAnza, which is on the edge of downtown, but within easy walking distance of everything. There's also the historic Saint Claire (part of the Larkspur group), a Fairmont, a relatively new Marriott next to the Convention Center with good views, as well as an older Hilton and

There are plenty of eateries in Downtown, or you can take the light rail a couple of stops up to Japantown, or walk/take a bus along East Santa Clara St. where there are numerous Vietnamese restaurants.

In terms of low prices, your best bet is probably the Arena Hotel. It's a bit west of the downtown core, a couple of blocks west of the Amtrak station (which also has a light rail stop and numerous bus lines). I'm guessing it's about 15 minutes' walk into downtown. It's gotten consistently good reviews on Tripadvisor. A little bit further out the same street there's a Motel 6. There are some nice little restaurants and stores along that street--The Alameda, which also has frequent bus service on lines 22 and 522.

There's a Ramada closer in that has poor reviews. You should also check the fancier hotels for specials, especially if you're coming on the weekend. The Downtown San Jose hotels are business-oriented and often have good deals on the weekend.

But Downtown San Jose doesn't have much by way of shopping. Santana Row--about 3 miles west-- is across the street from Valley Fair mall, and they're surrounding by yet more shopping. This would be the best area for a car-free shopper in San Jose. But this area isn't great for bars and restaurants--there are a few in Santana Row, many of them chains.

Beyond the Valencia there aren't very many hotel choices. There's the Valley Park Hotel at 2404 Stevens Creek Blvd., which gets good reviews on Tripadvisor. It's about 1/2 mile (10 minutes' walk) east of Santana Row and Valley Fair. It's not a fun walk, Stevens Creek is a wide busy street which crosses a freeway through there. VTA bus 23 runs along Stevens Creek pretty frequently.

I'd suggest staying downtown, then getting on the 23 bus to go shopping, it won't be a long ride (maybe 15 minutes?).

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 1,700
2. Re: where to stay in San Jose? want to walk to bars, shopping...

Also in this general area of downtown San Jose is a Travelodge - you can walk to the same places in downtown San Jose.

…hotelguide.net/data/h100070.htm

Its best if you want to drink - to be downtown versus Santana Row. (where Valencia Hotel is).

The other downtown hotels that are mentioned above are nice stays - just wanted to list another if budget is a major factor for you. Travelodge tends to have pretty good rates - check the hotel discount sites as well.

Berkeley, Ca.
3. Re: where to stay in San Jose? want to walk to bars, shopping...

That Travelodge turned into the Motel 6 that I mentioned above, at 1041 The Alameda.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 76
4. Re: where to stay in San Jose? want to walk to bars, shopping...

The posts above have covered things pretty well. I just have a couple things to add.

The area around the Ramada is not good, and I wouldn't choose to stay there.

If you can't find something in your price range right in downtown, check North First Street - there are a lot of hotels/motels closer to the airport. The light rail runs along N. 1st and into downtown, so that makes it convinient.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 96
5. Re: where to stay in San Jose? want to walk to bars, shopping...

How much walking and how much shopping?

Several neighborhoods in the area come to mind for walking to bars, shopping, etc. Other than San Jose, the other downtown areas are quite compact.

San Jose Willow Glen area

Los Gatos downtown

Campbell downtown/Pruneyard area

Saratoga downtown

Sunnyvale downtown

Mountain View downtown

Los Altos downtown

Palo Alto downtown

Menlo Park downtown

Edited: 3:53 pm, December 15, 2011
Berkeley, Ca.
6. Re: where to stay in San Jose? want to walk to bars, shopping...

True enough, DA. But most of those downtowns don't have anywhere to stay. Palo Alto does, Los Gatos does, I guess there's a motel or two near downtown Menlo Park, but Willow Glen doesn't, Mountain View doesn't, Los Altos doesn't, etc.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 96
7. Re: where to stay in San Jose? want to walk to bars, shopping...

"But most of those downtowns don't have anywhere to stay."

Sure there is. It all depends on how much walking/shopping you want to do. For less than 50 yards, you can just stay in one of the Tasman Avenue Santa Clara hotels and hit the lower lobby bars and gift shops.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 342
8. Re: where to stay in San Jose? want to walk to bars, shopping...

In downtown San Jose, for nice hotels, the Marriott Downtown, The Saint Claire and the Fairmont are all usually pretty reasonable, especially if you use pricing tools. They are generally around $130 when I stay there and I've gotten rates as low as $99.

The next tier down you have the Ramada Ltd, the Hilton and the De Anza.

I think downtown San Jose is great for walking around, eating and bars. Is it pretty close to SJSU so there are tons of cool bars and clubs.

9. Re: where to stay in San Jose? want to walk to bars, shopping...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, November 17, 2012
San Jose, California
reviews: 1
10. Re: where to stay in San Jose? want to walk to bars, shopping...

Willow Glen is a nice area of San Jose where you can walk around the neighborhood and the downtown has tons of restaurants and bars. There are no hotels in that area, but you should check out the vacation rentals on Flipkey (owned by tripadvisor). Just search under san jose, california, USA.